Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

Motorcycling licence laws are set to change yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a test and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 September 2012 17:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AntStamp69

Sep 12

AntStamp69 says:

licences

I believe the current licensing system is about right , wait your 2 years and off you go. I don't agree with all the re tests thats ludicrous

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

All the tests are a load of knackers

Having held a car license for 12 years since i was 18 and having done two cbts first time round on a ped, then two years later on a geared bike I did my DAS. Not long after, my older brother who also has been driving for years and had a cbt decided to do his license. Having just done mine I told him it was a piece if piss so we found him an er5, devitt insured him to ride on a provisional i.e he was insured on the bike provided he was in radio contact with an instructor or examiner. He passed his module one second time (two tests is still cheaper than an hours instruction!) I bought, a pair of cb radios and we went out with him on his 125, I followed him round a test route in our town giving him instructions just like an examiner. Made a couple of comments about when he should signal and his road position and he passed first time. No minors, Examiner said he had no comments it was an excellent ride. Goes to show, riding around a town indicating off roundabouts really prooves very little about your ability to ride a bike, or shows an examiner what kind of rider you are. Not that my brother can't ride, I just think it highlights how easy the test is and how little about 'proper' real world bike riding it teaches you. I think it would make much more sense if you had to log a minimum number of hours with a qualified instructor, covering basics, as well as progressive fast A and B road riding. I also think car and bike riders should have to log a few hours with an instructor each year, to keep standards high.

Reply to this Topic
jmt256

Jul 10

jmt256 says:

Sorry

Is how I feel for you poor brit bikers.  Is their goal to make getting your licence so much of a hassle that nobody wants to go through the process, thus protecting you from yourselves?  Its the same with your insurance rates.  I'd be the first to admit that America isn't perfect but every time i read something like this, It makes me glad I live in California.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

yes

in fact why not give them a loaded shotgun and free heroin .car drivers usually walk from a low speed prang with a dented bumper bikers break bones or worse.i lost 3 friends as a lad waiting and getting experience on a series of gradually more powerfull bikes is a good idea

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Another silly one MCN...

Come on have some common sense... would you really want 17 year old's tearing around on superbikes, they're bad enough on four let alone on two wheels!

Reply to this Topic
TNTbikes

Sep 12

TNTbikes says:

current system is good ....based on the security of the rider ...evrythng should be in order

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices