Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training?

I passed Direct Access two years ago, and haven't taken any further training since. People keep telling me that pre-test training only teaches you to pass the test, and that I should do ROSPA, IAM, Bikesafe – or anything that'll teach me some advanced riding techniques. Are they right, or is simple experience and riding more miles, more valuable? Your answer could help....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 September 2012 17:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ian610

Sep 12

Ian610 says:

I've booked a bikesafe course for the 6th October. It only cost me £35! That's a days worth of training with advanced police bikers for less than the price of 2 hours training with a riding school. It's a no-brainer!

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Anybody who needs...........

............advanced training to ride a motorbike is a pussy.

Reply to this Topic
vaughann

Jul 07

vaughann says:

IAM & Rospa can decrease insurance costs, increase riding skills, open up new routes to ride, provide options for club activities in some cases, meet other like minded riders, add an riding activity when perhaps no others are available to ride, provide discounts on many biking costs

Reply to this Topic
SVLydia

Apr 11

SVLydia says:

track

when i started going to track days i learnt so much more from the instructors and i quickly realised that basic training doesn't teach you to ride a bike at all!

i'm only on a restricted sv650 yet i am so much faster in corners than the majority on the road because i've had track training, i feel im much more confident and safer on the roads now than i ever was so i highly recommend that instead of any training you go through just to drop your insurance down a little bit.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Yes, and yes..

..yes you should, and yes they are right! Afterwards you can make your mind up whether it's made you safer, faster or whatever, and you can still ride how you like, but one thing is for sure, it will open your eyes and give you more choices for staying alive... Track training is useful for learning what your bike can do for you, but road riding probably shouldn't involve commitment into blind corners and crests, so there are a completely different set of skills to learn.

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

I passed my test in 1970 (yeah just the one test). I ride every day and I've had no serious accidents.

I have just booked a ride safe course, have to say I'm a bit nervous as in all that time the only assessment of my riding has been shouted out of car windows.

Reply to this Topic
goldbarsenior

Aug 10

I passed my test way back in 1982. Then stopped riding from 1990 till 2011. What a difference in road etiquette after that length of time, I certainly would advise periodic training, I hope to attend a bike safe course soon.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Not really......

.....Just because you do some training does not mean instant success in your riding skills, its a bit like work based training all fine in theory until the skills are required for real............Arse time in the seat will give you that, nothing else.

If you don't know where you are supposed to be postioned on the road whilst riding and approaching bends then you seriously need to think about it.

Most shools teach slow in fast out and observation at at least as far as you can see, which is fine in itself but you also need instinct and feel for the bike and what your doing. Timing is also another skill that can not be taught, you have to look at whats around you and what your coming up to and decide, experience is the most important thing there, not how to get your knee down on the next roundabout.

Reply to this Topic
Krisrexter

Aug 10

Krisrexter says:

Pre test training doesn't just teach you to pass the test 'IF' you allow your instructor enough time to teach you. However if you took the least amount of training you could get away with to scrape through your test then some extra training would be worthwhile but then if this is what you done to get your licence you probably think you could beat Rossi if given the chance. But for those of us who are honest with ourselfs an independent assesment of our riding can't do us any harm, as there is always more to learn. Now if life could stop getting in the way and let me find the time for further training.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Definitely

Now the basics have consolidated and most likely a feel for the bike it's a good time to get your riding assessed to see if you're missing things (like lifesavers) or if you've other bad habits. It's also a good time to start learning how to make better progress on the bike. If you go your own way it can be a painful and slow learning curve. If you take advanced training then you learn how to ride safer and faster without making the painful mistakes and the learning curve is much faster. There are two good books on road riding technique - Motorcycle Roadcraft (the police manual) is very dry but is the bible for all advanced training. There's also a book published by the IAM but the name escapes me (I'm half moved house so can't find it) which has much of the same content but with lots of pretty pictures and it's generally an easier read. If you're used to reading text books I'd go for Roadcraft - you can read a couple of pages before going for a ride and applying the techniques as the information is concise, more connected and it's better written. The IAM manual has subjects more separated and whilst it's an easier read, I feel it's harder to actually apply. When you consider the cost of one lesson when you did your DAS, the £120ish for a years training is damn good value. ROSPA and the IAM are similar although ROSPA has grades of passes (bronze, silver, gold) and requires the test resitting every few years whilst the IAM is either pass or fail and you don't have to retake it. Frankly, I'd go for whichever is closer to you. Don't even think about getting a pass on the test - the test is a side effect of the learning. Get as much as you can out of them as you'll find some people who have been riding for over 50 years and have a lot of damned good experience you won't find in text books. The downside is I had problems with people treating me like a child (I'm 27 but look way younger) and a level of arrogance from some of them which riled me. For every really good one there's another with a bit of lightweight cockitude to deal with. It is most definitely not just simple experience through miles. You'll be observed and get lots of feedback on your riding as well as ensuring you understand the theory behind different road positions they'll have you taking, etc. You'll learn a lot and you'll learn fast. If you ride every day you'll go from average to an exceptional rider in a very short space of time. Or if you're like me, you'll go from being utter crap to half decent.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices