Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I take advanced training?

I passed Direct Access two years ago, and haven't taken any further training since. People keep telling me that pre-test training only teaches you to pass the test, and that I should do ROSPA, IAM, Bikesafe – or anything that'll teach me some advanced riding techniques. Are they right, or is simple experience and riding more miles, more valuable? Your answer could help....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 September 2012 17:56)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Should I take advanced training?

No need, I'm a rocket surgeon.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Death, where is thy sting?

No. Thin the herd, with the most fit surviving.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Yep

Did a day with the training school about 3 months after my DAS, and did a bike safe (free as local council refunded cost as a road safety initiative), bike safe was a great day, would recommend to everyone

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Yes...

I didn't do advanced training after I passed my test... several reasons;- at the time it wasn't as prevalent, I didn't really have the money, & by the time I took my test I'd already been riding a 125 for 2 years & done around 40,000 miles... I'd already made most of the mistakes I could have learned to avoid from advanced training & thankfully only had one accident for my naivety. I didn't jump straight on a sportsbike instead going for big thumpers... I followed lots of bikes & spotted what I thought they were doing right or wrong & identified that in my riding where applicable. I learned accidents are potentially everywhere, avoiding them is the trick, while still having fun & making progress (my purpose for riding is to get to work, alive, to earn money).

If I was in that situation now I'd do my test straight away then advanced training almost immediately... & then, with only a maybe a thousand miles under my belt, set about learning how to ride a bike, but with a lot more knowledge of the possible pitfalls than I had when I did it originally.

Would I do it now?... Maybe I will, but I'd want to assess the rider assessing me 'cos we'd not necessarily agree... every rider has boundaries, limits that they won't stretch, theirs maybe very different to mine, but not necessarily wrong.

I note that the "Better Riding Guide" articles specifically don't have a comments section... at the request of the IAM?... there's certainly a lot to discuss but that in itself indicates the attitude of the group... "this is how it is... there is no discussion... end of".

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Feedback

Hard to learn proper vision, body position, cornering, etc without feedback from a trained coach. I suppose one could self-train by study and auto-tracking hi-rez video camera, but that would likely cost more.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Entirely depends on the local group

BikeSafe is a no brainer, do it if it's offered.  Then check out your local IAM and RoSPA, go on an assessed ride and decide if they ride what they preach.  If they're just giving it large about "The System" while caning it over blind hill crests ('cause they are Advanced and therefore have x-ray eyes) then you're probably better off just buying a copy of Police Roadcraft and then picking out the bits that make sense.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

Mindset

The fact you're considering advanced training sugests that you'll also be considering your riding which is more important, as it seems alot of the riders only seem to worry about dragging knees not improving hazard awareness. In my opinion you should always work on both ride skills and awareness, getting back to the point if you believe it will be beneficial then take advanced training worst that can happen is it doesn't help, at best you can learn new life-saving techniques and lower the insurance bill.

Reply to this Topic
exportmanuk

Feb 11

exportmanuk says:

Advanced trainning

"Hedgehog5 I note that the "Better Riding Guide" articles specifically don't have a comments section... at the request of the IAM?... there's certainly a lot to discuss but that in itself indicates the attitude of the group... "this is how it is... there is no discussion... end of". Had you joined a IAM group you would have found there is a lot of discussion most observers encourage associates to question and challenge the guidance given. It means they are thinking about it not paying lip service. Direct access gives you the basics.( considerably more than when I started riding in the 70s) but like driving a car they teach you how to pass the test not how to use the vehicle in the real world. If you are interested contact your local group most will arrange a free assessment ride take that then make up your mind.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Bikesafe

without a doubt. Search on line for where it's done locally. It's cheaper than the other 2 and will firstly give you extra skills and secondly give you a taster as to what extra training is all about.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Definitely

Since I passed my DAS 4 years ago I had done a day of 'advanced' training each year, which was very useful. This year I joined the IAM, and for less than the price of a day of training, I've had several days worth of the most fantastic tuition. As well as road training, they also organise track days and track based training. I've no doubt that as @Rogerborg suggests some groups are better than others, I'm lucky that my local group are large, active, inclusive and very good. If you have a RoSPA or IAM group nearby, go for a trial ride and see what you think, and whether they will 'suit' you - if so that's probably the best value way of getting advanced training. Bikesafe also gets great reports and is great value, albeit only 1 day. Any advanced training you do, whether as part of a group, Bikesafe, or privately, whether road based or track based, will be of benefit. Ignore comments like @Piroflip, who is clearly an idiot - even RoSPA/IAM senior observers and police Class 1 motorcyclists have regular training/observation sessions to maintain and improve their skills. If they can benefit from training, so can all of us!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices