Skip to content

Ask an Expert Preload adjuster knob. Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Preload adjuster knob.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Preload adjuster knob.

Some time I ago I bought (I don't say "won"!) an Ohlins shock absorber for my 2003 R1 on eBay. I had it refurbished by Harris Engineering recently with a new spring suited to my weight. I fitted it last weekend and the bike is much, much better in corners so I'm very happy. Anyhow, it took quite a while to decide where to fit the remote preload adjuster (not as long as it took to find a place for the tax disc, mind!) and next day when the rains came I wondered whether the preload knob was filling with water because I have it angled downwards.

First question; will the knob fill with rain water and corrode?

Second; drilling drain holes in it it sounds like a good idea, but can I just undo the screw at the end or will springs, ball-bearings and oil fall out?

Lastly, the remote preload hydraulic line passes near the hot reg/rec. Will it be a problem if it touches?

Thanks! James.

PS: The OE shock cleaned up like new and I'm wondering if it's worth keeping and refurbishing. Is that possible?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 September 2012 21:22)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

These would do the trick (as seen on the Ohlins Diavel) but with VAT and £15 P&P (!) on top they're £50 and I've spent enough already.

Talking of tax discs, the R1 has always used stick-on ones and they're good.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Remote preload adjuster

James,

I think you'll want to bolt that to something.  It will move around under a cable tie and eventually work loose - particularly when your are using it.  At the very least it will scratch your frame and if it starts moving about while you are riding you could have a more serious problem.

I am sure that you'll be able to find a bracket or metal plate out there somewhere that will do the job.    

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Bracket.

It's bolted to the pillion peg bracket. The cable tie is just there as a temporary second line of defence until I know it's not going to vibrate loose. I'm cautious!

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

James

i'd be more concerned about the weed growing from yer tank bud,:wink:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Weed?

Oh yes! I hadn't noticed that.

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

shock

James i would leave the adjuster alone (no drilling holes). also unless you reg is smokin ,read fucked, it wont effect your shock.nice bike bud BTW

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Cheers albert88.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle