You are in... Forums > General > General > Training for new drivers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Samar

Aug 12

Samar says:

Training for new drivers

After almost being hit by driver this morning (she was on her mobile phone :mad:), I want to propose adding another element to drivers training - 1 hour ride as pilion passenger with instructor who during the ride will explain all everyday risks from biker's perspective.

Wondering what you think:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 September 2012 11:07)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

1 hour

as a pillion isn't enough in my view.

Let them do a minimum of 12 months on 2 wheels before they get near 4, and then they might be more thoughtful.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mobiles..

LAst Saturday morning I had to pop in to Grimsby early, nice morning, so took the bandit.  Got my mates house, got the part he picked up for me, back on bike sorted..riding down Peaks Parkway, a total arsehole moved towards the right, over the lines in a chevron area, =1. he was on his mobile.., thought, riught u twat..got alongside him, cogged down to 2nd, sounds ace with mtc can on, he couldnt hear his mmobile phone so i just kept on revving until he had a go..he flipped me the bird so next set of lights, I thought shall i get off and have a word, (as ex forces guys sometimes do!) lights changed, he was being an arse behind me, so i filtered and nailed it...thought , you know what, I cant be arsed with idiots like this..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Fspider

Sep 12

Fspider says:

CBT

Give all new drivers a CBT for the day. Then they will understand. I think a CBT is far more beneficial to road safety than them silly Speed awareness courses they do (car drivers of course)

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Road Rage

or to be precise cycle rage last night.

i thought I had best do at least some excercise so have taken to cycling to work across London during the week (Back home in Hereford at the weekend) last night 3 YES FEKKING 3 drivers pulled out of left hand turiings and blocked my path. Plenty of F'ing and blinding from me and one dented car where I accidently kneed it.

I thoguth the self propelled bike was dodgy enough but heck this excercise malarky is going to kill me (before the fags and booze does)

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

i agree the CBT

is the best way to improve driver awareness and ability...

speaking as someone that had a 'box' licence first for a number of years... i then took my CBT and then after a year and a bit my DAS... since getting my 'freedom' licence.. i myself have noticed a great improvement in my driving, my observations, positioning.. all things road related..

so.. putting all new 'drivers' on 2 wheels for 12 months befor they can do a car test can only be beneficial I.M.O....

PS...... also think they should be restricted on the BHP front same as bikers.... (but thats a whole other thread!!) lol

Reply to this Topic
Samar

Aug 12

Samar says:

Agree with you Blader2005

I did my motrcycle licence earlier this year after having Car licence for number of years. I noticed significant change in my driving (more observations, no need for speed ) However I think CBT for driving learners is not something that could be enforced. Even though it would be more effective, no doubt.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

Samar....

it would only take a change in law... this could be looked into by a govt.. they simply need to enforce that if you apply for a car licence/provisional that you mustve completed a 12 month period on a bike... which is recorded and traceable...

the govt would get increased revenue from the CBT, the tax on icreased bike sales, the VAT on any increased kit sales.. road tax.... yet it would cut traffic volume over a rolling period as ppl would be on bikes rather than cars..

in the long run, it may alao reduce hospital costs.. as the more aware drivers begin to have a better awareness of bikes and stop trying to wipe us out at every opportunity!!!

(this is a brief overview idea and is not a finalised green paper so im sure some here will find innacuracies and such in my suggestion)  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I'm not sure

anything would help.

Accidents occur whether on bike or in cars. We have accepted that our choice of transport puts us at risk than those in cars.

Is it right? No

But the way we live our lives now compared to 30 years ago is totally different.

Our only way to combat it is to be observant and that age old saying "treat everyone else on the road like they are trying to kill you"

I don't think any legislation will be bought in to make people more aware.

I must confess my mind has wandered sometimes when I've had the comfort of being in a car, it's the price we have to pay for having the ability to ride on 2 wheels.

For me I'll take the risk

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices