You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Retake Test After Accident

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshsilverman

Sep 12

Retake Test After Accident

Hello,

So to cut a long story short, I had a motorcycle accident when I was 17 (8 years ago). I had previously done my restricted license but I unfortunately lost my right leg below my knee due to an idiot car hitting me whilst I was stationary.

DVLA have said that as been as I now have a medical coniditon they would recommend me pass my test again with the condition. I am fine with that as I am not very confident at the moment and would like to have the instruction all over again in a controlled environment. Plus its been 8 years since and to be honest it would be stupid and dangerous for me and anyone else on the road to go back on a bike without the instruction and re cap.

Thing is... I HAVE NO RIGHT LEG! lol. This means my back break is totally useless as I dont have an ankle to push down on the lever.

What can I do?!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 September 2012 07:43)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Legless

Use some brains. How do you think OTHER disabled bikers got on??

Contact NABD

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

No need for ''legless'' comment

First of all I do not appreciate being called ''legless''

secondly, your first comment was not necessary. I don't know any other disabled bikers or know how ''they got on'' hence asking here. Don't have to be condescending.

2nd line was helpful. 1st line totally not needed.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

back brake,

I`ve seen bikes with hand operated back brakes,

also met a guy at a roadside cafe on a bike&sidecar,the sidecar had a wheelchair in it.

When he set off i noticed he had no foot controls and metal legs, the cafe owner told me both his legs were false.

He is a world traveller as well.:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Riding for those with a disbility

NABD will be able to offer some good advice and a lot of this is based on the experience of others.  The also will have a lot of technical info relating to bike modifications. 

I am certainly no expert on the subject but it does sound to me as if your only concern is use of the rear brake.  If so, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.  You can buy conversion kits that will add an extrea lever to your handlebar controls for the rear brake.  There are some racers that use them in preference to a conventional system.  They are readily available and shouldn't cost too much to fit to your machine. 

Good luck with getting back on the road.        

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Apologies

Sorry. Was having a really bad day.

Please accept my apologies.

www.nabd.org.uk are the people to contact.

Hope you get back on a bike soon.

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

Thanks

That's great, contacted them and they are letting me use a bike of theirs free of charge with a handbrake.

They also said they will give me a grant to cover the cost of hand controls so I won't have to pay a penny when I get my bike.

So now it's just the case of deciding what bike hmmm... Buell or GSXR?.... Decisions

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices