Skip to content

Discuss This Rider deaths down General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Rider deaths down

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Rider deaths down

Motorcycle fatalities fell 10% last year according to latest government figures. It’s the second year in a row of improvement after a fall of 15% in 2010. Rider deaths were down 33% in 2011 compared to the average number killed per year from 2005-2009.  The motorcycle fatality rate – taking into account miles travelled by bike – was down even...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 September 2012 16:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

So, will we now see an increased amount of attention and effort paid to improving driving standards by the relevant authorities? Think we all know the answer to that, voters.........

Reply to this Topic
spangle2k4

Aug 12

spangle2k4 says:

How much of this reduction is because the recession has priced the Sunday afternoon Power Rangers off the road... Much as I'd dearly love to, I can't believe that many more people are doing advanced training / improving their riding?!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Official Quote....

"The figures also show that 48% of crashes between motorcycles and cars were the result of the car driver failing to look properly"........So fucking well sort out the Car drivers then.... and leave us Bikers alone. How much more proof do you want???? errrr hello are you listening?

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Snev....

What caused the other 52% of crashes?

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

People are gonna die, I don't see why making something safe is better? Now people will crash, that is fine and it should be allowed, otherwise why should we have freedom at all? What should we reduce? Cars pulling out no seeing bikes and what should be increase? Training because the more you know the better you are. Lets not restrict people, lets educate them. The test and lessons are crap, they don't give you the skills needed, you gain most of them yourself and quite often they're wrong. The biggest reason why people crash is because they panic, brake and instead of making the corner they look to where they're crashing. Why not teach people not to react like that? I got extra training doing a track day not to do that and it's improved me so much. Why is going fast such a taboo? The speed doesn't kill you, your own ability does.... why should we all be the same? We aren't the same come school tests so why are we on the road? I'm better than most bikers out there on the road, I'm no Rossi but I've done several track days and learnt how to ride a bike. People I see a terrible, you get people on the new BMW 1000 and I can beat them on a GPZ 500, that's all down to the training they've had. Just sick of this country, you'd think it would be common sense but they try to control us and stop us from having freedom.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

caNsA....

Oh I don't know, could it be a mixture of ..... Road conditions, Diesel, animals, bad weather, mechanical failure, People walking out into the road with out looking, Road rage, Road defects, inexperience, I suspect it could be a mixture of these and many others....... BUT 48% or almost half are caused by car drivers pulling out without looking.......Prety damning statistics Don't you agree?.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Better dead than veg

I would honestly rather that Mrs Borg was spending the life insurance than end up like that poor bastard that lay in a ditch for 3 days with a broken neck.

In absolute terms, we're talking deaths going from 403 to 362, but seriously injured going from 4780 to 5247 (and slightly injured up by a thousand).

Are 41 lives worth 467 mashed up riders?  I'm not entirely convinced, but the Europe wide "Vision Zero" campaign will be. It's only concerned with deaths.  Anything short of that is viewed as a win.

And the way to get deaths down is to get speeds down.  Doesn't matter if Cathy Cager bothers to look before pulling out, as long as we smash in her back door at 30 rather than 40.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Useless figures

You need to provide better context.  Fatalities down by 10%, serious injuries up by 10%.  Know what that kinda looks like - looks like medical science/procedures moved on a bit and what used to be a fatality is now a serious injury.

How do you explain your opening statement that fatalities are down by 10%, but then say that allowing for miles ridden it's down by 11%.  What's the first figure?  Absolute number of deaths?  Why would that differ to the second?  Don't explain it to me in a comment, update the article.  You need to provide context to these statistics so people know how to inertpret them.  Bald facts like this are useless.

As to the whole "failing to look properly" thing, you're just playing to the orchestra aren't you.  Gorrila on a basketball court.  Go look it up.

48% of crashes between bikes are cars were failed to look.  That's a nice high number.  But the greatest danger to a biker is themselves (loss of control) and no figure quoted.  Not that it would matter because it can't be related to the 48% as we don't know what total percentage of crashes the 48% refers to.  Again, no context - and reading the comments people already think with 48% is an absolute figure when it isn't.

So medicine has moved on, bikers are their own biggest threat.  Other than that you can't conclude anything from this.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

And cite the source

"according to latest government figures"

What figures, what report, what link?  Cite the source and then people can look it up themselves to get an idea of what is actually going on.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Hmm, more statistics

Fatalities down 10% and serious injuries up 11% could be interpreted as an improvement in the care of accident victims. Any reduction in deaths is welcome but some more detail would help to make proper sense of the figures.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices