Skip to content

Discuss This Police launch sting operation to catch bike thieves General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Police launch sting operation to catch bike thieves

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Police launch sting operation to catch bike thieves

Police are planting bikes equipped with hidden tracking devices in theft hotspots in a sting operation to catch thieves. A signal from the tracker alerts waiting officers the moment a bike is moved and allows them to pinpoint its exact location at all times. There are also plans to hide cameras on the bikes to film the thieves at work....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 September 2012 16:33)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Fair play to them

Good to see Plod taking bike thefts seriously.  This gets two thumbs up.  Just a shame we can't cut the thumbs off of the upright rodents that are stealing them.

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

great news but why post this story now ! Why not wait till the operation has been productive and over, now the damn little buggers are gonna go some other place for a month or so

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Nottinghamshire

Why not withhold this geographical clue and keep the thieves in the dark about just where it's happening. Especially since the Met's dedicated bike theft unit has been disbanded for cost reasons !!!!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

domtrails

don't worry, most of them can't read.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Well

It's a good start , but why not commercially distribute those kinds of systems then all bikes can have one? or is stuff like that on the market at the moment? Would be nice to have them fitted to every bike if they prove effective. True , we shouldn't have to , but lets face it , it ain't gonna happen. Not in my lifetime...

Reply to this Topic
4jimbo4

Jun 12

4jimbo4 says:

erm

london is the worst area for bike theft so....

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Thieves may be wee scrotes...

...but they are far from stupid.  The good ones anyway.

Seeing as how I can think of a possbile way to evade the tracker after just 5 minutes, I hope the police are sat close to their bait and watching.  Otherwise...well...a few more stolen bikes methinks!  Still, it's good to see the police taking motorcycle crime seriously.

Off-the-shelf trackers are available right now, not cheap mind you (you could always install the Prey Project onto a smartphone and leave that in the bike.  Not as good as a proper tracker mind you because it would be so easy to find and remove).  Attach a cheap web-cam to your wall, install ZoneMinder and bingo.  Sorted.

Me...my bike is old and not worth much; so I'll rely on the security lights, chains and bad tempered owner. :-)

Reply to this Topic
TNTbikes

Sep 12

TNTbikes says:

Good to see the police working against the bike thieves.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

I see this the same as........

..............TV detector vans and "Trespassers will be Prosecuted" signs. Just one big bluff. Far cheaper though than actually doing anything about it and it leaves the cops free to harass bikers doing 35 in a 30 limit.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

To jimbo8098

You ask "why not commercially distribute those kinds of systems then all bikes can have one? or is stuff like that on the market at the moment?"

You can buy a Tracker GPS system Jimbo and go for the Monitor option which automatically alerts the Tracker people if your bike is moved and they get the police, equipped with tracker receivers, onto it. Hopefully nabbing the thieves and recovering your bike. Or you can have the Retrieve option, for less money, where you alert them if your bike is stolen and they get the police to track its whereabouts.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices