You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > <=25 KW A ray of hope

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

<=25 KW A ray of hope

I passed my A2 motorcycle test few months back. My license says restricted to <= 25KW. I had thought that means I am restricted to 125CC for two years but that doesn't seem to be the case. 125cc and 25KW seem to mean two different things. Can some one please explain and advise me how I can ride a bigger bike while being restricted to 25KW

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 September 2012 10:24)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

25KW

is the same as 33bhp (more or less) so technically you're allowed to ride any size bike as long as it's restricted to 33bhp. The restrictor kits you can buy are generally well overpriced; the certificate is also entirely unnecessary (it's not official and doesn't prove anything, yet costs over £100 to receive).

125cc bikes are typically < 20 bhp if I remember rightly, so you're legally allowed to ride those no problem.

Once you pass your CBT you're allowed to ride a 125 with L-plates for 2 years. Once you've passed your A2 restricted license, you're then upgraded but still restricted to anything < 33bhp (or 25KW), which allows you to ride any size (restricted) bike for 2 years.

Hope that sort of helps!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

learner 125cc bikes

make less than 14.6 bhp.  Many only make 10-11bhp, some a puny 8 bhp.

So.. ..33bhp is a healthy step up.

Something like a Honda CBF500 restricts in minutes for the addition of a throttle stop on the carburettor - just two bolts and it's done - and remains a really great ride.  The kits can be had new for £135 or dealer fitted for up to double that.

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

@bbstrikesagain

Cheers mate..

Reply to this Topic
33kerryhouse

Apr 12

33kerryhouse says:

Thanks

Thanks