Skip to content

Ask an Expert Help! My jacket damaged my bike! Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Help! My jacket damaged my bike!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MachoGrande

Sep 12

MachoGrande says:

Help! My jacket damaged my bike!

Hi everyone,

I bought a new Dainese goretex jacket from Infinity motorcycle clothing in Farnborough two months ago. I was really pleased with the jacket as it did everything it should and was worth splashing out the extra cash for a warm and weather proof jacket.

I came back from work on my bike today and as I dismounted the bike I heard a loud ripping sound and thought what the hell was that?? I looked down and saw a gigantic deep scratch across my petrol tank. I then saw that on the lowest button of my jacket, the rubber cover for the button is half off and a load of paint has scraped off against the metal button underneath the cover.

The lower two buttons on the jacket have a soft rubber cover. I guess this is due to them constantly being in contact with the bike and thus to prevent any damage. It has obviously failed exposing the very sharp metal popper underneath.

Has anything like this happened to you? Did you manage to get the manufacturer to help pay for damages? Where do I stand on laying some blame against Dainese for their jacket damaging my bike? Do I have any right to expect them to pay for repairing the paint on my bike?

Any advice here would be very much appreciated!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 September 2012 12:32)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Unlucky

Doubt you have any recourse against the manufacturer... Sorry, down to you. Maybe look at a tank pad to cover the scratch?

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike damage

I expect that the damage to your bike will be considered consequential damage and the jacket manufacturer will not be liable.  Their liability is limited to repair / replacement of the faulty jacket and not for any other losses that arise as a consequence of the damage to the jacket.  It's rotten luck but the repair to the tank will be down to you. 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

it's only

their warranty that is (insofar as local law allows) limited by their dandy words.

Perhaps the supplier and/or manufacturer will act on goodwill, or maybe you should you pursue the supplier under the Sale Of Goods Act?

Check Consequential Loss under Section 5.  As long as you mitigated their losses, e.g. you weren't knowingly riding around with a faulty popper, then the supplier can be held responsible for direct consequential losses cause by the defect in the goods they supplied.

Reply to this Topic
MachoGrande

Sep 12

MachoGrande says:

paint scratch

Thanks for the replies.

I have a tank pad in the usual spot but brilliantly the scratch is beside it!

The guys at Infinity Farnborough have been pretty understanding. They have taken pictures and written a letter to Dianese explaining the situation, so I'll wait for a response.

I think your right though, anything is likely to be good will. I was hoping for someone who had any related or similar incident who could offer some insight.

Thanks bbstrikesagain ill check in to all you suggested. Sounds plausible.

Many thanks! Ill post an outcome later.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle