Skip to content

General thoughts ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > thoughts ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

thoughts ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 September 2012 18:50)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Balls to the horse

Doesn't matter about the horse, if you break a hundred then you should expect to be banned. That the horse was there and he failed to slow to a sensible speed shows disregard to other (also vulnerable) road users just as cars show disregard to us and we moan about it constantly.

Obviously a well trained horse not to freak at that as I think most people would.

Also a fairly lenient sentence given what we've seen from the courts recently. Most of the speeding that results in a year ban involves no one else. This guy shows no regard for other vulnerable road users and gets a few months.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Same old bullshit

Fast is dangerous, "youngster" on a horse. Namby pamby media story.

Should he have slowed? yes. Should "youngsters" be allowed on a public road on horseback?. No. 

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

PDj

I get really annoyed  as most of the horse riders round our way are the most inexperienced up there arse waste of spaces, but I do know the horse is not at fault and would not willingly go out of my way to spook it..

So through living in a rural community I have to put up with numpties on horse back and farmers dumping shit on roads, and ride accordingly

So I whole heartedly agree with you

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Agreed BB

Certainly no worse than the RAF flying low between Dishforth and Catterick and spooking a horse,which flipped and killed it's 14 year old rider about 4 years back.  Oddly enough,no one was banned or fined for that.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Fast = dangerous

I think it's a matter of training. There should be a course you can take so you may determine the maximum safe speed for yourself. The rules are there for people who aren't intelligent to work it out for themselves. I think if people were actually thinking about what speed was safe, there'd be less people driving around like mindless morons.

And is fast dangerous? Well, you've got to be damned aware of what's coming up and he's demonstrated he wasn't. Or if he was, he didn't react to it.

Whether horses should be allowed on the road or not (I think it's not a problem myself but I can understand the opposing view) is not the issue really, they're there and we should react to them appropriately. If you're not planning on being anywhere in particular and you're just out for a ride then there's no excuse for not slowing down.

And the faster you go, the higher the risk associated with riding as you have to correct faster, you have to be able to react to what's happening in front of you faster and there's less grip available for cornering whilst it takes you longer to stop if you run into an obstacle in the road. He should have slowed. If he didn't see the horse in time to slow then he was going too fast for that bit of road.

And no, I'm not saying that riding over 70mph is instantly dangerous. I'm saying that to ride faster you have to appreciate the increase in risk. To deny that is asking for trouble.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Phil.....

nothing happened.He was on the opposite carraige-way...you're just being confused by the 'Mail'.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Mickly

Dec 02

Mickly says:

Typical media hysterical sh*te

I've had a few brushes with horse riders...but I suppose "Biker waits patiently with engine switched off while horse goes berserk and young female jockey screams obscenities at him" doesn't make a sensational attention grabbing headline.:mad:

Only good for glue and dog food......and the bloody horse.

Mickly

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Phil

I think you are right and we must be the voice of reason,

I know that getting out of where I live I will probably have to by pass horses and older people in their cars , is it right that they should be on the road?, probably not in the case of older people and lack of  responses or lasses on horse back who don't even realise they are in the wrong. 

But I do know they will probably be around so ride accordingly. Surely he could of found a better road to do that on, not only to protect other people but to protect his licence

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

Still bollocks

That's a long shot video footage,hence forshortened and appearing closer than likely,and he's visibly seen to slow down and I think at that point he was still nowhere near that horse.

Would I have done the same,quite possibly. I'd have made a judgement at the particular time,and dealt with it as I see safe at the time. 

Still think it's over hyped nonsense about "Youngster" though. If we have to be sixteen to ride a moped,then I disagree with anyone younger riding something that no one has any ultimate control over. 

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

My sister has a horse

and its scared of empty crisp packets yet she still takes it out on the roads...The last time it was scared it threw her off and snapped her ankle.And my mum is always on my case saying motorbikes are dangerous.....:hmmm:  

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices