You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Brake Failure

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Whitefire

Sep 12

Whitefire says:

Brake Failure

I have recently purchased a 2007 BMW K1200 GT and occasionaly the  front brake will not work, the brake lever when applied appears to have no resistance, on the second pump everything is ok and the brakes work fine.(Till it happens again) At first there were no warning signs appearing on my display, but on the way to garage the "Brake Failure" message appeared, I put this down to the brake pads being worn but changing them has not cured the problem. The BMW garage say it is the ABS Modulator but are not certain, any ideas? My main concern is that I cannot tell when they are going to "Not Work" on the first pull.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 September 2012 20:41)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

They

don't feel spongy or anything do they? I've no idea about the ABS side of things but if you have air in the system it could possibly behave like this, requiring a pump of the brake lever to get the brakes to work. I also take it the fluid levels are fine?

I'm pretty shit (in general) so do wait for replies from proper people before running off to drain your brake fluid.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

brake failure

I've heard of this somewhere, but can't remember where.This site wouldn't let me do a link???? so, search for bmw k1200 brake failure  :wink:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

brakes

as a rule if the ABS pump/modulator fails the brake system 'should' revert to a standard brake system , if you have to 'pump' the lever it sounds like air in the system but i would advise you get it checked out before you hurt yoursen bud.

Reply to this Topic
Whitefire

Sep 12

Whitefire says:

Brake failure

Surfed the net looking to see if it had happened before, all I seem to find is complaints about warning lights coming on, I have not come across any mention of the brakes not actually working on the first squeeze of the lever.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Disc / wheel movement?

A warped disc, or one that occasionally gets disturbed on its floaters (e.g. while parked, having tyres changed etc) could push the pads back requiring a pump or two before they work.  Similarly a failing wheel bearing might have a similar effect.

You say on occasion - what occasion: start of ride, mid ride, or related to something, like after a long stretch with no braking?  It doesn't sound like air in the lines, but then again I've never had a beemer.

Worrying thing about ABS is the modulator - contains valves to release pressure, relying on the pump to put it back.  If the bypass valve didn't seat right, or was slightly contaminated, could that cause cause your symptom, with your pumping building a bit of pressure to seat it again?  Whatever, the ABS ECU won't always know if something's up with the hydraulics...

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brake failure

Don`t have any info on your bike but taking in albert88 (getting old now) and bbstrikesagain replies,is it possible to disconnect the a.b.s. to see if the master cylinder piston seals are knackered?

I hope there isn`t to much fluid in the master cylinder.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

BMW K1200 GT 2007

Hi Whitefire and welcome to the site:smile

If this is happening while riding with no other problems,like a pumping lever,then i would have to go with Jaffa90 ,Front Master cylinder seal failure starting to occur,probably due to fluid contamination?.Good Luck.

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Just

to add to what the other posters have already said,

Do you know if the brake fluid has ever been renewed?

Have the calipers been serviced / refurbished?

Is the handlebar lever and its pivot bolt in good condition or are they worn allowing excessive travel?

Reply to this Topic
Whitefire

Sep 12

Whitefire says:

Brake Failure

Thanks for all of the replies, The second pump can be required almost anytime, it happened after a run but the brake had been used a few times before that and worked ok, it has happened during a run just before a corner and actually happened at the BMW garage as the technician was taking it into the workshop, there appears to be no set pattern to it.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

brake failure

as my first post:blink:,

you no reply. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale