You are in... Forums > General > General > F*ck the IAM

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zmike

May 12

zmike says:

F*ck the IAM

If you can stand the self-righteous stuff they feed you and if they they say you have to overtake every car in sight regardless of how you feel at the time, and if you can live with only putting your right leg down when you come to a stop then the IAM is for you.

Don't get me wrong, I passed the Advanced test but I got fed up with being dictated to. I am not stupid!! IAM do one.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 September 2012 22:08)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

left leg..right leg..

In town, i am 50 50, if i have bike in neutral then i prefer to have right leg down, front brake on, then if lights suddenly changed, click with left leg and you are off..simples..ride to the road conditions..

Reply to this Topic
sprag

Aug 02

sprag says:

what foot to put down depends

on what bike you ride. If it's an old Brit bike with right hand gear change then put your left foot down, fingers of right hand covering the brake lever and the right foot ready to snick the bike into gear soon as the lights change. On modern bikes with the gear lever on the left then it's right foot down, fingers on brake lever and right foot ready to put the bike into gear, simples. :winkie: If there is a sharp camber then it may be a good idea to put both feet down at the lights or junction and leave the bike in first gear holding the clutch in with the left hand and holding the brake lever with the right hand. As for this 'need' to overtake everything in sight, I leave that to the nutters on sports bikes, these days I'm quite happy just bimbbling along at whatever speed the traffic is doing, I get where I'm going eventually. :smile 

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Does

it really matter, surely it is the situation which dictates, which foot is used not someone who is not on the bike at the time the bike is stopped.

Go on 'Dare to be different' after all thats why we ride bikes isn't it ? 

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

RoSPA

I've been recommended to try RoSPA and stay away from IAM. The IAM have a very particular set of rules and regs (for instance when driving a car, they employ the hand-shuffle technique for steering and will accept nothing else; they also don't want you to indicate unless you can SEE other road-users who may benefit from your signal) that you must adhere to; most of which seem counter productive, to me.

On the other hand, the RoSPA group seem to have a very sensible attitude that makes you a better rider within your own confines (instead of forcing particular techniques on you).

Reply to this Topic
chriscg

Jan 10

chriscg says:

whichever

leg you put down,dont spend to much time deciding,and make sure its atleast one.    Top advice aye?:lol:

As for not indicating if you cant see another vehicle well,it maybe the one you dont see oneday that really needs to see your indication.,:ph43r:

they live in a funny,perfect sort of world some of these groups.

read a while back that an advanced rider crashed overtaking a car on a bend ,with good view mind,as he sliped on the freshly laid road chippings that had accumalated off the beaten path.he was after legal advice as there was no signs up apparently.dont know about them but i watch the surface pretty carefully.

there all to advanced for me!! but that said,if its your thing,do it.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I

decided to challenge one of their senior observers on this right foot down thing. Their justification is that it means you have to hold on to the front brake and that means you're not tempted to release grip on the handlebars. This makes it safer if you get hit from behind.

This is bollocks.

Unfortunately I didn't get chance to explain the physics behind it as I was shouted down by a moron who didn't understand what he was teaching with some crap about preventing accidents and how the braking dynamics of a small and large bike are different (my comparison was the DSA technique).

If you get hit from behind whilst stationary and you're on  the back brake, it'll hurt, BUT you'll probably roll forward as the back brake is limited in power and there's no real pivot point to swing around on. You have a chance of getting a foot down.

If you have the front brake on you will not roll. What will happen is that the force will be translated into a turning motion with a multiplier equivalent to the wheelbase of the bike, causing the bike to spin round and send you off. This is basic physics.

Never sit there with your bike out of gear with your right foot down. Covering the rear brake is much safer and the IAM are absolutely wrong in this - they're trying to make it faster to set off but compromising safety by doing so.

When I did my training with them, I was never forced to overtake everything in sight. If cars were doing 50 in a 60 then I stayed with them and that was just fine with them.

What I will say is that there are a lot of arrogant, self righteous people in there who are not up for discussion or debate. Anyone who is serious about making people better riders will be up for a true debate about how to ride better, even if it's just to teach people the fundamentals behind it.

EDIT: on one occasion we were sat in traffic where I felt it wasn't safe to filter. The observer (who actually had far less experience than me as well as a poor understanding of the roadcraft manual) overtook me and just left me there. It was follow her or get left behind. There are some very good ones in there, but getting stuck with a wanker just ruins your whole day.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Might be

a figment of my imagination but I'm sure I read somewhere (circa 5 to 10 years ago) that the reason Roadcraft / IAM changed their stance on the left / right foot down thing was because the Hendon Shuffle looked odd in front of visiting dignitaries.

Personally it's ingrained in me - left foot down, back brake on.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

No matter which leg you use

You'll always put your foot in it.

Reply to this Topic
honwal

Feb 10

honwal says:

iam

i have done the iam test twice, 20 years ago and 5 years ago, i found it improved my riding no end, for observation, and road positioning, and making progress worked for me,

my group were an interesting bunch from lorry drivers to accountants not all of them were my cup of tea, but thats the same as most groups,

i have taken out what i want for every day riding,

i wouldnt put anyone off trying them they do observed runs, so you can see if its for you or not,

i was told right foot down is  so you are more stable, and are ready to put in gear without the hendon shuffle, as they said to make progress

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle