Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Have electronics gone too far on bikes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Have electronics gone too far on bikes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Have electronics gone too far on bikes?

Electronic aids on bikes seem to be developing at an amazing rate, with ABS and traction control becoming more and more common, and semi-active suspension beginning to appear on bikes.   pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 October 2012 16:18)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

They've not gone far enough!

What I want is a magic button that will make the bike drive itself like a BSB star and I can simply hang on for the ride.  Or a button that simply erases the M6.

Either option would be awesome.

In all seriousness, driver aids are great but it would be nice to turn them off/adjust them.  Although that would only relly suit certain specific uses (e.g. racing).  Aids we could use, but don't seem to have yet, are vehicle-to-vehicle alerts when crossing paths (i.e. collision avoidance); HUD (prolly best in the lid like a fighter pilot); and MPG that isn't a chuffin' joke.  I'm sure you can think of more.

Thing is, it really depends on why you ride.  Some folks may like the security of the aids; others may prefer the raw nature of an unadulterated bike and knowing that everything is on them.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Electronic aids

I think they are a good thing provided the actually contribute something and are not just added as gimmicks.  

In the past I have voiced the opinion that they rob the rider of his instincts - in that those of us that grew up on bikes with marginal handling, poor brakes and tyres that didn't grip very well have better machine control and more of a feel for feedback from the bike - all skills that were deloped as survival instincts!  I think it made us better riders.  However, if these systems are getting more refined and reliable are we reaching the point where modern motorcycles are getting that good that we no longer need such skills?  I don't really know the answer to that but I am glad that I have them as it gives me the confidence to ride pretty much any bike knowing I am less likely to get caught out by it.   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

FFS!

Come guys ask some more sensible questions. Of course electronics have gone to far, it all went tits up when carbide lamps were discontinued.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

As long as there is an option to buy the bike without that stuff for less money then I'm happy, I've ridden without it this far and never needed it. Electronics just reduce the skill of the rider and make them dependent on it, rather just know how to ride a bike properly tbh.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

As long as there is an option to buy the bike without that stuff for less money then I'm happy, I've ridden without it this far and never needed it. Electronics just reduce the skill of the rider and make them dependent on it, rather just know how to ride a bike properly tbh.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

it's very much needed for all the born again riders who basically want a car on two wheels

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

The more the better

Its called progress. You lot seem to hanker for the days of steam engines and sending children down the pits. I hope one day that they can build a bike with electronics that do everything so I can just sit there and enjoy the ride.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

sales bull

most of these gizmos are marketing waffle.The only one that is usefull is abs.the worst being throttle mode switches especially on a 600,ridiculous.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

agree

I agree with nigel966.. as long as I can turn the traction control off on an offroad bike, and the electronics don't track me. So no.. they ain't gone too far... yet.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Its just progress, making the bikes faster, safer and more reliable. Do you hanker back to the bikes from the 70's with shit tyres, flexible frames and spending more time tinkering with them than actually riding?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices