Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should all new car drivers be required to do a CBT too? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Should all new car drivers be required to do a CBT too?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should all new car drivers be required to do a CBT too?

pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 October 2012 16:33)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I think

everyone should do time on 2 wheels before they get near 4 - that way, they might be more aware of vulnerable road users (inc cyclists & pedestrians as well as bikers), and hopefully less inclined to use mobiles / shave / apply make up etc when driving.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

How ridiculous...

SOME PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO RIDE BIKES. SOME ARE SCARED. Riding a bike won't make these people look out for us more! What is with these ridiculous MCN questions?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Where will it end?

And whilst we are at it, make people learn to ride a horse then we understand their point of veiw, then an HGV licence to see how lorry drivers manage, then cycling proficiency for cyclists problems, then drive a bus for a couple of weeks etc etc etc!!!  The authorities just need to put a bunch of awareness questions into instruction and testing to make sure people have at least a basic idea about what two-wheeled transport is all about. And, as already mentioned, people could be scared of bikes and what about disabled people? They need to understand too! Education is the answer.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

A bit of understanding

wont go wrong with the road users of our country but I'm on the fence with this.

On one hand , it would give them first hand experience of what it's like on a bike but on the other , a lot of people don't want to ride a bike. I think it should be commended that people are willing to see what its like on a bike but telling them to do so is a bit ott. I agree on more traffic awareness though.

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

What's the point?

Does this mean everyone should pass a HGV test? No. The CBT falls woefully short of providing valuable road skills anyway. Why do you think so many of these 16 year olds on 50cc peds ain't got a clue how to use the road?

Reply to this Topic
MrPotatoHead

Oct 12

MrPotatoHead says:

Despite their reputation

Despite the reputation I'd much rather ride a bike in Italy and Spain than in Britain and that's because everyone there has been on a powered two wheeler.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

May I suggest a hazard perception test,in a simulator, to replicate all kinds of weather conditions and with motorcycles in the scenarios with and without headlights on? Observation and concentration are skills found sadly lacking with a lot of 4 wheeled users, so an approach of this type, with consequences for "at fault" manouevers carried out by the candidate if they cause an accident involving a bike (such as re sitting the theory test) to reinforce the need to be aware of the vulnerablities of other road users, such as bikes, pedestrians etc.

Just a thought.

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

Australia is Doing the Opposite

Down under, they have the reverse of this proposal going to government --- you have to have you car licence for  a year before you can even take a motorbike test.

Sorry to say this but motorbiking is on the governments hit-list in this country - and wouldn't be suprised if the idea gets taken up by a EU w.o.f.s politician, and then imposed on us along with all the other EU Bulls**t regulations...

i.e. new MOT policy, New Test regime, Hi-Vis vests --- and and lets not forgot every Anti-social regulation being manipulated by the pigs to stop you having a loud exhaust - so that people can HEAR you coming in there tin-cans

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

rider training

I dont see it working so as far as i am concerned its a No No.

What amazes me is that in order to get into a car one first has to have a qualified ie fully licenced passenger and probably undertake something like 20 to 40 hours of instruction at costs just to sit the DSA test [ not forgeting the usual theory and awareness testing etc before hand]

On a bike, a  much more vulnerable [ notice i did not say dangerous  ]machine u can get away with a day or in most cases less than a day, sometimes mearly a few hours and away u go.

Then at some considerable later stage one can undergo some form of DSA training in order to undertake the test.

It is historic i now but in this day and age one would feel that more training and  earlier, similar to the so called Advance level could or would  be a good thing.  But then again 98% of up to 125cc machines cannot exceed the speed limit so how on earth are they going to make progress.?or overtake? Difficult one that.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices