Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday?

I really want to do a trackday, but I'm a bit worried that my riding level isn't good enough, and I'll get spooked on track by faster riders. Should I just man up and get on with it, or should I do something like California Superbike School, the Ron Haslam Race School first? Your answer could help. The best will be printed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 October 2012 17:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Sprint955

Speaks the truth. You will come off and write your bike off which wont be covered by insurance so you will be without a bike. But that wont matter because the multiple breaks on your bones will make it impossible to ride anyway. Because you have put yourself at increased risk by doing a track day any insurance you have for prolonged absence from work will be invalid so you wont get a penny while you are off work meaning you may well lose your house as you fall behind on your mortgage payments. Your employer wont be able to hold your job open so you will be unemployed. The constant pain from your multiple injuries will most likely lead to you becoming addicted to pain killing drugs which could lead to harder drugs like crystal meth. Your whole family will disown you and you will end your days living in a cardboard box whilst being urinated on by other hobos. But that wont matter because by then your crystal meth habit will mean that you wont even remember your name or anything about your past life. This will actually be a blessing because at least you will be spared pain of knowing your wife is with another man (who didn't do the track day).

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If he didn't do the track day, how can he be a "man"?

Hah, there's the fly in your narrative ointment.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Why not?

The worst that might happen is that you crash and die a horrible lingering death after a couple of weeks in a hospital bed.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Reading the responses below, you'd wonder why they ride at all if they crash every time they sit on a bike. Your most probably a lot safer on the track than you are on the road. Just book your self in to the novice group and see how you get on. I did CSS before getting out on the track by myself but looking back, I think I would have got more out of CSS if I'd been on the track a couple of times. CSS was a great eye-opener and I learnt a lot but it is a lot of money and you want to get the most out of it. If your a little nervous try one of the big tracks with run-offs like Silverstone or Snetterton.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

but are you..

Are you experienced enough to ride on the road? All trackday riders also ride on roads, so if you can't ride around a big wide track without any oncoming traffic, pedestrians etc, you'd better keep off the roads. What a dumbass question. Whatever next mcn, 'i want to buy a Harley, but I'm not homosexual. Should I buy a different bike or change my sexuality?'!!!

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

But But

Why is it when I’ve seen the,,,,, “I do track days Ass holes)” coz I’m a fast rider geeza,   do they strut around in there  One piece Try Bayliss / Rossi,  look-alike dick leather hmmm slightly gay suits.. With matching boots oh and the I’ve got the latest go fast MOT-GP helmet, coz I want to look the part, don’t even talk about the tire warmers.  Jeeeeez, AHHHHH end of rant .....

Reply to this Topic
Rootes

May 09

Rootes says:

I did my first trackday 3 months after having passed my DAS test, having not ridden on the road in the interim. I went with FE and hired a gsxr600. The only reason I did it was because I wanted to go and race a classic but had no track experience. I went on a novice specific day and it was briliant. There's no such thing as being experienced enough, the skills needed are totally different to those required on the road. 2 years later I still don't have a road bike, although there is one in the pipeline. I'm a much more confident rider on the track than I am the road, purely because that's where the majority of my time on a bike has been spent.

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

I agree with Street3r...

Despite wanting to, I've not done a track day (because my bike's been SORN for a few years), but I had the Ron Haslam Race School as a birthday present, and flying around Silverstone on the CBR600 with instruction taught me so much about confidence, what you can do and the bike's capabilities. I'm certainly glad I did that before being unsure about all those things on a track day!

Suffice to say, enthusiastically renewed vigour and re-adjusted priorities mean that my bike is on it's way back, and on a track day next summer (weather permitting!!)

Reply to this Topic
neilf

Aug 02

neilf says:

Start slow...

As it's your first ever trackday, stick yourself in the novice group. Learn the circuit before you build up your speed. Start at a pace that you would be comfortable riding at on the road and you can't go wrong. Don't try to get your knee down straight away as it'll happen naturally as your speed and confidence increases. Try not to get suckered into a "race" or try running at a faster pace then you are happy with. Once you know where you are going and running at a comfortable speed, tag onto someone who is about 5 - 10% faster than you and follow them for a few laps, or ask one of the track stewards for advice. They will follow on track, access your riding and give you tips.

Doing a race school will help as they, especially Ron Haslam's school, can supply everything from the bike to the riding kit. They will teach you about braking, turn in points, position on the track and looking through the corner (you should be doing this on the road anyway, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded of it).

Tape up your speedo and as your mirrors (or better still, remove the latter completely). They are a distraction and you don't need them.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

tomRR wears pink

Tom, do you wear shorts with your cardigan?what do you expect the rider of a sportsbike to wear, pink tassled leathers? And should Harley riders wear a race suit? Some trackdays only allow one piece leathers with a back protector, and they're not easy to walk in, but those people tend to ride more than they walk.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices