Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Am I experienced enough for a trackday?

I really want to do a trackday, but I'm a bit worried that my riding level isn't good enough, and I'll get spooked on track by faster riders. Should I just man up and get on with it, or should I do something like California Superbike School, the Ron Haslam Race School first? Your answer could help. The best will be printed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 October 2012 17:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Don't be daft....

.... that's what the novice group is for.  There are usually 20-40% newbies in the novice group.  In every group, there will be some riders who are faster than you, but also some that are slower.

Reply to this Topic
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Be careful though.....

.... track days are addictive!!!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

I am not a track day rider, but surely there are different days for different levels of expertise?

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

Don't worry about other people or how you look to other people, who cares? We all have to learn some day and I went to a track day type thing where we were given lessons and it taught me more than when doing my test.

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Your choice, but...

I did the Ron Haslam CBR600RR experience first. I wanted to get the feel of it and a bit of tuition, before I took my bike on track. It was well worth it; a great time and great advice. They'll teach you what you need to know to get the best out of your "novice track day". Since then I've done three track days, had a lot of fun and learned a lot too. I would have done a whole load more if the weather had been better this year; they are great fun. Most track days have groups; novice, intermediate and advanced. You'll start in the novice group, so you'll be with people with similar abilities. Your only competition on track is you. It's not a race it's about what you and your bike can do, no one else.

Reply to this Topic
tchaunche11

Oct 12

tchaunche11 says:

Go for it

I had the same fears going in but there is always someone that is slower. Stick to the novice group until you feel extremely comfortable with that group. Inter can be  lot more intense than you think :smile

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Good god no

They will all be better than you. If you manage to last the day without crashing (which is unlikely) your lack of speed will make you an obvious target to the bigger (and faster) boys and they will steal your dinner money and give you a wedgey. I did one at Cadwell park and was beaten up at the gates by a couple of greasers on Fireblades just because I rode a Gixer.(Jealousy is such an ugly emotion)

Reply to this Topic
lee696

Sep 12

lee696 says:

Track day novice

I did a track day at donnington 6 months after passing DAS as a 50th present so couldn't not go. In novice group at an unlimited decibel day. I have a monster 696 and enjoyed the day it was hot and I rode at my own pace and overtook 3 people 1 of whom had crashed! The novice group though was full of slick tyre warmed super bikes none with number plates so track bikes. The advanced and intermediate groups must have been full so they booked on the novice group. You do learn that the bike can lean far further than you thought and after dropping the tyre pressures after some advice it was even better. Give it a go but in the warm.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Nothing to lose...

To be honest you're probably a lot faster than you give yourself credit for, that is unless you have 3" chicken strips on the edges of your rear tyre!

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

do neither

track days are full of guys with a lot more testosterone than talent,i was leading a group when a twat on an r6 went into a bend way too fast lost it completely and took 3 of us out 1 guy had multiple breaks in his ankle.i have never been since.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices