You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > TT600 dies and white smoke

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

swen

Aug 08

swen says:

TT600 dies and white smoke

Hi there! Recently something started to happen to my 2002 Triumph. (20 000m) Few times as I was riding I could feel something was not right- bike was dying- on low revs. I revved it more but it shut down. I could start it immediately easily. Rode it, droped the gear before corner and it died mid corner. Like not idling properly. Sometimes its feels lumpy when idling. Not sure if its not running on 4 cylinders. Tank was almost full. Recent service history includes new air filter, spark plugs. Dont think I am loosing coolant or oil. Also few times I noticed white smoke coming. Quite thick and smelly. Seems after some hi rev riding. But not always. And it goes away. I think not on start up. I am wandering if these to things are connected? Otherwise bike runs well and feels powerfull. Fuel delivery a bit snatchy I think. So I am a bit lost. Any ideas? What should i check? Any possabilities? And what about that smoke? Your help appreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (01 October 2012 21:54)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

white smoke

Sounds like a cylinder head gasket has gone,

i suspect you have water in the oil (emulsion,raised milky oil level) or oil in the water (check the radiator cap/header tank cap for oil/smell of).

A cylinder compression test  or radiator pressure test should tell all.   

Forgot white smoke is usually steam.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

fuel

You haven't put diesel in the tank have you? :huh:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

fuel

That`s a good shout fogie,

it`s possible that somebody can be squirting diesel/cycle oil through the fuel cap keyhole. 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I've seen a Triumph 1050

nursed back to life with a hint of diesel in its tank - the smoke was black and it ran like a proverbial bag of spanners.

Whitish smoke may be steam.  Thicker whiter sweet/sickly smelling smoke is ethylene glycol - a.k.a. antifreeze - and steam.

One fault? Head gasket - the white smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Multiple faults?  Fuelling/ignition/breathing problem plus a coolant escape when it gets really hot?

Tests as prescribed by jaffa

Reply to this Topic
swen

Aug 08

swen says:

-

Thanks for all the replies.
I checked the radiator, cap, coolant level. Dipstick, oil level. All is ok: coolant and oil are clear, no milky stuff. I am not loosing coolant ,but oil is a bit low. Also if it was a gasket- wouldn't I smoke all the time? I will top up the oil, go for some high rpm ride, will check spark plugs too. My colegue thinks it could be blocked/kinked crankcase breather pipe to air box. And pressure builds up in crankcase and forces oil to burn. Do you think its possible? I will check the piping anyway. Unfortunately I am not able to check cylinder compression or radiator pressure at the moment. What tool do you use to check radiator pressure anyway?
Lets see.
Also my bike seems do not have a CO2 sensor even its fuel injected. I thought all fuel injected bikes have CO2 sensors?!?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Forcing oil to burn?

If it were burning oil, I'd expect blue smoke, but not white.

You say you've checked the radiator and cap - how did you check them?

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

White smoke

Four stoke oil usually makes a smelly, slightly blue tinged grey smoke - doesn't sound like oil burning.

It only takes a tiny amount of coolant to make a fair amount of white vapours - think how slowly a kettle boils itself dry.

Where does the smoke appear to come from, and what's your temperature doing during "high rev" riding - does it rise?

Cylinder compression is checked through the spark plug holes, cooling system is checked by pumping it up though the radiator cap.  For a one off it's probably cheaper to get it tested professionally than buying DIY tools.

Most modern fuel injection systems use an O2 (a.k.a. lambda) sensor to fine tune the fuelling during steady running, mainly to keep the cat happy.

Reply to this Topic
swen

Aug 08

swen says:

-

Thanks for replies again. Few days ago I replaced fuel filter (old one was Ducati :shock:), topped up the oil. Because those problems were intermittent i will see how it will go. If anything I will let you know

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle