Skip to content

Ask an Expert Getting absolutely butchered on insurance :( Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Getting absolutely butchered on insurance :(

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

rtho782

Sep 12

rtho782 says:

Getting absolutely butchered on insurance :(

I'm 29 and now have a years NCD, passed my test back in May 2011.

I've got 3 points for speeding in Jan 2011, and unfortunately have three accicents in the last 5 years, Sept 09 in a car, Nov 10 in a car, and Aug 11 on a bike.

So, I expect my insurance to be relatively high. Last year, I paid £950 on my XJ6-F with Aviva. With a years NCD, my renewal quote is £850. Seems a bit of a pathetic drop, so I thought I'd shop around.

However, it seems other insurers class everything from an end can to a dead fly on the windscreen as a mod.

If I quote with no mods, I get £533. Not bad. If I add the end can, the insurance goes to £1452.

Can it seriously be said that adding a can makes me nearly 3x more likely to have an accident!?

God forbid I admit that I have frame sliders and heated grips as well, oh, and luggage. Apparently even a tank pad or a sticker is a mod.

Completely insane. I guess I should take the can off but I just don't understand how it can be justified.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 October 2012 12:05)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Insurance.

Comparison websites are useless for anyone with "complications" like you. Some of them even struggle to distinguish between serious modifications and inconsequential ones like tank pads.

You need to phone around for real quotes.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

You say

3 accidents - were they your fault, or someone else's?

Are you getting quotes 3rd party / TPFT / Fully comp?

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

accidents

I've had 2 accidents that were the 3rd parties fault but it did make my insurance go up by a smidgen.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices