Skip to content

Ask an Expert ZZR600 OILY PROBLEM? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > ZZR600 OILY PROBLEM?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vincentjames

Oct 12

vincentjames says:

ZZR600 OILY PROBLEM?

My zzr600 is old, tired, and a bit noisy, have just removed the alternator cover to find load of engine oil come flooding out. should there be oil in there ? any help much appreciated

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 October 2012 19:17)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil

Welcome vincentjames,

heard of this before on here,it is normal to find oil in there and more so if the bike is on the side stand.

kcmc and some others on here will have more idea.

Reply to this Topic
vincentjames

Oct 12

vincentjames says:

oil

thanks for that , makes a lot of sense because I removed the cover first about a month ago and there was just a drop of oil, this time a lot ran out that was my concern . but the first time it was up on the main stand this time on the side stand, time to ride on!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Oil on the alternator

Yep, I don't think it's universal but both my bikes have alternators which run in the engine oil. You'll see oil ports in the engine case behind, and the cover has a gasket to prevent leaks. Oil is an electrical insulator so no problem there, and it helps prevent hot spots. Ride on indeed!

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZZR 600 Model? Year ?

Hi Vincentjames and welcome to the site:smile

Jaffa90 and james600zx have just about covered it,the alternator and starter clutch both run in oil,but they are above the sump level so while the engine isn't running and is up right the oil drains back to the sump.If the bike is on its side stand the oil can either get trapped in the casing or spill over out of the sump,so always best to remove this case with the bike upright,but i think you already know this:biggrin:.

I see you have stated it is the alternator cover and as the side stand is also on that side it must be!!

Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ZZR6 oil

If you are talking about the cover on the LEFT hand side* of the bike, then YES, it should be full of oil.

If you are talking about the cover on the RIGHT hand side* of the bike (stator/ignitor etc), then NO, it should only have a tiny dribble.

*As you are sat on the bike.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices