Skip to content

Ask an Expert Engine Number anomaly (cat B??) Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Engine Number anomaly (cat B??)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

eurouk

Oct 12

eurouk says:

Engine Number anomaly (cat B??)

Hi

I bought my bike from a dealer just over a year ago. It was my first purchase and somewhat naively I just took it for a test ride, and bought it without checking the engine number - reason being it came with a warranty so I thought that would cover me.

Now that I am coming to sell the bike, I checked if the engine number matched the V5 logbook, and it doesn't.

Furthermore, there is a label on the exhaust pipe, just in front of the engine that mentions category B.

I've checked the HPI and there's no mention of anything there, it all checks out fine.

I'm puzzled as to what has happened to it. It seems either:

-  to have have had a replacement engine fitted before I bought it, but which was never updated in the V5 logbook (perhaps the engine may have come from a cat B motorbike)

- it was a category B itself, but somehow has managed to avoid being registered as one (surely this is unlikely, given that the VIN number would show up in the HPI check)

Questions I had are:

- How can I find out exactly what the history of the engine saga is?

- How can I update my V5 logbook, given that I did not change the engine and have no idea when it was put in, I have no supporting paperwork or invoice ?

- How should I answer questions from buyers regarding the change of engine, as I don't know why it was changed in the first place?

Thanks for your help,

J

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 08:01)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Cat B

Sounds like the engine was from a cat B,

http://www.ukwheels.com/Motorbike_writeoff_categories.asp

You cannot put a cat B back on the road.

The V.I.N. number comes with the frame so i would update details of the engine number.

Please note i`ve never experience this. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What bike

is it? Age / mileage?

Cat A has to be destroyed in it's entirety, Cat B is unfit to go back on the road, but any salvageable parts may be re-used / sold.

I'm thinking the same as Jaffa, your motor has been replaced with a Cat B, for whatever reason.

How many owners has the bike had?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle