Skip to content

Discuss This America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light

Three MotoGP races will be held in America in 2013 after it was confirmed the Circuit of the Americas clash in Texas will definitely go ahead. The race will be staged on April 21 and is likely to be the second round of next year’s world championship with major doubts about whether a scheduled race in Argentina will go ahead on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 11:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Memory doesn't serve you well does it Stiggy old boy

Simon Crafar, Donnington Park 1998 ring any bells with you?

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

I have to give you that one

Red Bull backed if I remember correctly.but not a consistent front runner if you take my point ,We have our best hope for years ,and he does try ,no frills but is no slouch

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

3 rounds in america?

they dont give a shit! just chasing the dollar, what about a race in south america?

Reply to this Topic
Tripitaka

Sep 12

Tripitaka says:

I Was at

trackside when Crafar won that one - complete fluke.  Didn't manage to back it up either.   By the way Donington has only one 'n'

D o n i n g t o n

Reply to this Topic
cthwaites

Aug 02

cthwaites says:

Well I'm happy as toast that we have 3 rounds in America. I think Indy could have been dropped without tears but the Texas circuit is going to be great....the first round may have a few gaffs but they're quick learners and know how to hold a sporting event (the Dallas Cowboys stadium hosts over 100,000 on a weekly basis and managed over 400,000 in a recent Mexico-Brazil football match).

The US is still by far the largest market for the Honda, Yams of the world, if not by units, then sales and profits. And if the racing is good, the crowds will turn out even if the American riders are not of the caliber they were 20 years ago.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

Total Capacity of

Dallas Cowboys stadium is 110,000 including standing.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

A helping hand..

Yeah..we know he helps out.

He has said he will only help CRT bikes from next year but that's not a deal on TV profits is it? and it doesn't mean he pays 52% of their costs either.

They have to find money and the point is..Europe and the States haven't got very much and are in recession. Other areas of the globe are in growth and they don't tend to race in these areas.

PS. Thanks for the link mind..part of a very interesting article that everyone should read and I'd forgotten about.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
aintnothin

Apr 12

aintnothin says:

Nostro

Regarding British riders:  those are some brave and talented guys from the British Isles who dare to race Isle of Man TT.  I can barely watch.  I know bravery alone doesn't translate into a MotoGP champion, and I"m starting to believe that coming up through the ranks via Moto3 and Moto2 do make the difference.

I just wonder if WSB, BSB, AMA are good jumping off points into MotoGP?  Stoner's parents moved to Europe I guess so he could work his way up the pack.  Moto2 has only 3 British riders, Spain 9.

There are some good US riders, and of course MotoGP needs a couple for factory marketing if nothing else.  However some of my very favorite are from Australia:  Troy Bayliss and Mat Mladin.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Interesting figures..

Being honest, it surprises me bikes are that close to the cars and if they're right I'd say Dorna ain't doing too bad a job really. Room for improvement?

Taking Europe..you see how many cars on the road for every one bike? There are a lot more bikes than cars in some parts of Asia but we don't go there really, imagine if we did..surely those figures could improve our way?

Everything in F1 is bigger so you'd expect us to be the poor cousin in terms of what can be charged for the show but in bike orientated countries, albeit with predominantly utilitarian commuter devices as Nostro says, you'd have thought Carmelo might be able to close the gap on Bernie a bit.

Got to be in it to win it though.

Got to have the right tracks too - safe enough so the circuits can be homologated but bike tracks - not just following F1 around.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Hmmmm... points to ponder

thanks for the info.

I take your point about F1 and its 'product'. But however tenuous the link is to the domestic automobile, it is still there. In the Western world we motorcyclists would be lucky to make up 3% of the population. Most of the rest could'nt give a flying fuck about motorcycles or motorcycle racing as a sport. Sports talk in the office or down the boozer will confirm that. That is a very difficult breach to cross.

Those television figures will undoubtedly be dominated by Asian viewers in the main. Dorna has had the good fortune to be able to expand their T.V market with the advent of satellite television. 300m viewers. What's Europes population - 500m. A very optimistic guess there would be 50-80m viewers. 400m strong America. Next to nobody watches or cares. And frankly the rest of the world is too small to count.  I remember watching a MotoGP race in Agra India on Star T.V in 2001. It's there because the people want to see it. The people want to see it because they own a Honda or a Yamaha.

Now I'm more than happy to admit to knowing next to nothing about F1. But these new tracks and new markets contain the nouveau rich too, who ARE out there buying Mercs, Bimmers and Ferrari's. These firms race for the same reason as Honda and Yamaha - brand profile, with the intention that will lead to sales. Look at the recent profit announcements by BMW and Daimler with share prices up 7% - all on the back of expanding market sales in Asia.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle