Skip to content

Discuss This America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

America to host three races in 2013 as Texas gets green light

Three MotoGP races will be held in America in 2013 after it was confirmed the Circuit of the Americas clash in Texas will definitely go ahead. The race will be staged on April 21 and is likely to be the second round of next year’s world championship with major doubts about whether a scheduled race in Argentina will go ahead on...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 11:21)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

The fans will probably turn up mistakenly thinking it's a fkn nascar race for their fix of bolt ons, lardburgers and sody pop!

3 races in a season and who the fk have they got to cheer for... really!

I see fishing becoming very popular amongst real fans of motorcycle racing.

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

Just when you thought it was at its worst....

...Dorna go and f*ck it up some more. Why 3 races in the US, they don't even follow GP on mass!

Why not stick a few races in South america for a change or go to South Africa again?

Bell ends, I'm sick of reading these stories about GP now, it really is in termoil!

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

The winds of change..

Talking a couple of months back, in the Rossi returns press conference, Lin Jarvis said:

"The main motivation, the main reason for us to be here (in GP) is not to get a title sponsor, our reason to be here is to promote the Yamaha brand and also to go racing, and to animate our motorcycle business in general and motorcycle sport. And so the main motivation is to do that."

This is clearly a very important factor in the racing departments pitch for corporate dollar when trying to convince the company board to fund a MotoGP season and, they have to compete against other departments to secure that money.

Part of that pitch is R&D and the trickle down benefit to production - electronics, fuel efficiency and a green philosophy to meet stringent emission law, safety - which in my opinion is little more than a soft soap to bag the dosh so they can enjoy themselves doing what they like..fairplay to them.

However..It creates a conflict of interest for racing which is supposed to be about going as fast as you can, not an R&D platform for the manufacturers with escalating costs and spurious real life benefits focussed on fuel economy.

The manufacturers have to justify that racing budget to the board and, therefore, everyone else who races has to play to the rules set in place that make that pitch relevant. But, brand awareness by standing on the podium all over the world is more important to them and if rules can be manipulated to ensure this..why not? 

This is the fundamental difference between the MSMA and IRTA, who are there just to race. It's the reason that fans get pissed off with the factories as their philosophy neuters the spectacle and forces competition to quit. 

It's the reason Carmelo rolled out CRT and snatched the rule making priveleges back from the manufacturers. This is a sport that has to compete in a hard pressed global market against other sport for the publics hard earned cash, sponsorship and TV contracts.

In what other Global, world championship sporting arena, do SOME of the competitors have the power to make the rules, that exclusively benefit them and which exclude competition, to help them dominate?

It's a fkin joke..and it had to stop.

The problem for Carmelo is that nobody in India, China and the rest of the world, rides around on an FTR or a Suter. He needs them as much as they need GP..especially if Superbike is technologically dumbed down to BSB levels and the R&D angle is snuffed out there too.

I'd like to see GP maintain it's blue riband status for the manufacturers brand awarenes health, but the perception that R&D is part and parcel, needs to be outed for the sham it is, put back on the test track and more factories encouraged to compete by lowering costs and levelling the sporting playing field to improve the show. More fuel and engines, limited sensors, less weight.

Superbike for the teams, who are free to choose which brand they race and who can organise the Transatlantic type series/Superbike des nations racesclosed season.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

I`ll

agree that 3 in the U.S.is at least 1 too many and maybe 2! Also I agree with the Rev and say MotoGP shouldn`t be ran without the full package, i.e.Moto`s 1 and 2. Especially when to a lot of people these classes are where the real entertainment is!

By the way, if an Italian or a Spaniard wants to have a light hearted dig at the British for their lack of success in this sport, I`ll smile an take it....well, it is true after all! But I don`t think New Zealanders need say too much... (about any sport actually). I don`t mean to be rude Noz, but come on! 
I`ve met Aaron he`s a lovely fella. You mention Crafar...well yeh ok. But....well, come on!  
I watched Graham Crosby with his high bars in the late 70`s and he gave Barry a good race very occasionally......but we might as well have eskimo`s berating the British lack of MotoGP success as Kiwis.
Having said all that, please don`t tar us all with the same brush. I personally don`t give a hoot about the nationality of the riders. This is a global sport, its not the Olympics and the riders are individuals, and are NOT racing for their countries.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Just so I understand you correctly Wosi

you as a Honda owner want them out of GP's because according to you they're some big bad über lord trying to squeeze the sport as hard as they can with an assumed spend, spend, spend mentality until all competition is exhausted and drops out. Then we can have a nice fluffy bunny one make Honda series like Moto2 as Moto1? Do you really think that is what Honda themselves want?

Or alternative nr.2 to Honda taking over proceedings would be for them to drop out as they have threatened, so we're back to a scenario  somewhat akin to the mid late 1970's. Mainly Yamaha's and Suzuki's after the demise of four stroke MV's. Yeah, that'd be great just Ducati and Yamaha - but of course without HRC they might get bored and pull the plug too as happened in the early 1970's as the other Japanese manufacturers followed Honda's lead.

But I guess following this recent announcement by Bridgepoint with Dorna watching over both series then Uncle Carmelo and his control ECU will  win in the end, because as you say Honda ultimately just want to race, it's in their corporate blood.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Cheeky

You and the others miss the point completely. Whether or not N.Z have had success in international racing was not the question asked.

All I've done is what was asked. Explain the psyche of your average British biker. Are you disagreeing with any of it?

I wrote it as a factual piece actually Mandy, t'was not intended as a fictional humourous work.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Honda..

First off..you're behind the times my friend.

Presently, wosi has no Honda in the garage just a Yamaha, KTM and Suzuki. Try and keep up to speed you old fishwife, although I apreciate that's easier said than done at your age.

Second..Yes, I do think that's what Honda want.

It's pretty clear competing against a strong field holds no interest as they've systematically upped the ante to compete forcing others out.

A bit like the 3-card-brag player who stays blind but has more money in his pocket than his fellow gamblers.

As long as they have the best bike, under their rules they're happy. Unfortunately for them and their bulging wallet, things haven't worked out quite as planned because of Repsols allegiance to Dani Pedrosa, a serial under performer on a bloody good bike.

Third..you're gloomy prediction for GP if Honda leaves, neglects to take into account other factories are waiting on the sidelines ready to enter when they leave and new rules slashing costs are introduced, thereby undermining they're ace in the hole.

Publicly there may be a certain solidarity about the spec ECU. Privately these new players will be pissing themselves and glad to save money along with a better chance of competing with them gone.

The series will flourish without HRC..much like WSB has done.

Honda won't sacrifice all important brand awareness on the big stage to make a silly point like they did before, cutting they're nose of to spite the face, unless they are even more stupid than we give them credit for. 

They will have to swallow pride..and I hope they choke doing it.

wosi likes their product and has owned many Honda's but he hates the politics and a bully who thinks he's harder than he is. 

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

They may not at the moment

but they have in the past, and in all probability will again in the future. For the moment WSBK is where Yamaha have choosen to tighten their racing belt, MotoGP success still filters down into the production product perception of the buying public. Why are BMW racing in WSBK?

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

MotoGp will survive without Honda it will survive without any factories. It has in the past. I reiterate what was said earlier by hmmmm    MotoGp is about the product and the prodcut is motorcycle racing.     It's about the racing not the factories!     Put all the riders on CRT make it Moto1     give the fans racing like  Moto2 and Moto3 and they won't care less about the factories.

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Hi Noz,

I can`t explain the psyche of the average British rider, and neither can you.

What is an average British biker anyway? 
When I had my smash three weeks ago a british biker stopped, (with a few british car drivers) and was a real nice fella and helped me out enormously. I`ve also met some total British dickheads. Loud, brash and unfunny. It takes all sorts.
I don`t recognise the yellow wearing stereotype you portray and I don`t get the impression that we`re all suffering from a clinical depression because its been 30 years since Barry (R.I.P.) In fact I would say "the average British biker" couldn`t give a toss. 
Its your tar brush I get concerned about, please don`t form your opinions of a nation because of the childish drivel written on here by about 5 people!
You`re better than that.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices