Skip to content

Discuss This Honda powerless to influence MotoGP switch for Jonathan Rea MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Honda powerless to influence MotoGP switch for Jonathan Rea

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Honda powerless to influence MotoGP switch for Jonathan Rea

HRC has admitted it was powerless to sway satellite team boss Fausto Gresini towards signing Jonathan Rea in 2013. Honda is consulted on rider selection for its satellite teams but has no right to veto Gresini or Lucio Cecchinello’s preferred choice. So despite throwing its support behind Rea for the RC213V currently raced by Spaniard Alvaro Bautista, it was a recommendation rather...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 11:48)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

the right choice

bautista has been riding his ass off all season and with a few erm problems aside(t boning jorge i mean)  his podium was a worthy one(R.I.P simmo) best of luck to him and gresini for next season , im sure redding is already getting a better package sorted for next season and maybe then with marquez gone we will see him on the top step where he belongs. As for JR well he has to win a lot more in wsbk to be getting his ride in this paddock unfortunaly but a good 2 tody rounds for him beating some regulars along the way.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Honda powerless..?

Haha..Good! Get used to it.

Forget the politics..decent effort as a stand in but, simply not good enough.

There are faster riders, with better records who deserve it more.

10 years loyalty and winning Suzuka against a bunch of Jap test riders obviously counts for a lot in HRC's eyes but the reality is, Rea has won nothing and is 5th in the standings of WSB with a best of 4th.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

hrc

do you really believe HRC could have over powered "san carlo" as running the team even if they wanted rea to get the ride wosi??

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Sucker punched..

Not without stumping up some money and throwing in an RCV, foggy.

They could have done this but, obviously don't have enough faith in Jonny as a top rider..They really want him in Superbike and IMO, dangled the GP carrot to get him to sign on the dotted line there.

He's on a two-year deal in WSB and I can't see him moving to GP in 2015 aged 28, then having to learn for a year or two..even if does win the title, can you?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Waste of a seat

Only 12 prototype's on the grid, to waste one on Bautista is a crime. He was quality in the junior classes but has done nothing on a big bike (unless you count crashing) he has 1 inspired ride and gets to keep his job.

Aragon was more like the real Bausista, way off the pace, 3 seconds ahead of a guy in his second ever GP who was racing his 5th  race in 5 weeks.

If the sponsors wanted an Italian or Spanish rider why didnt they get Iannone before Ducati stepped in?

Complete waste, plenty of quick guys in Moto2 or WSB could do a far better job.

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Rea

has a 1 year deal in WSB

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

well

i have to say honda may have give jr a lifeline only because he won suzuka, i did think he would gone this year anyway as he does crash a fair bit imo, but yes what your saying does makes sense and now with rule changes threatening again i have to say it a slim chance, i just checked it was one year he got dude not 2 but fair play.

krabs i can see where you angle is there but compare him to de puniet!!!!! he has been floating around the series for way to long doing nothing but make up repair bills.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

On signing he said..They’ve got some very exciting plans for 2013 and beyond..

What with all the talk of the new RCV213 superbike for 2014, I just assumed the deal was for two years..

Even so, I think Honda have few real plans for him in GP..certainly not full-time in the factory squad.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Rea & Haslam

It's not the greatest pairing in the world. Haslam has done nothing since he left BSB, which he didn't win, to date, can only think he's dad helped him get the Honda ride, and can't see that pair doing much good next year. I doubt if Rea will ever see a MotoGP seat again, because it's not unlikely they could dump the pair of them, with some of the quality Moto2 riders ready to move up again by the time their contract ends in 2013. 

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

being honest

yea i can see how that looked to others as in he may already have a seat for 2014 in the gp paddock ,he probabaly would but he does need to be at the front more imo in wsbk to warrant it  ,i mean it took spies to win the title to move and so did jt(twice) when you compare it to now , just proves what working for hrc can do for your eh but not taking anything away from rea's tallent's and beating a mr rossi fair play , Rea was a safer bet than using a tired old test rider as yamaha proved last season!!! (but with all respect he is way quicker than myself on track) , only honda know the real plan to all this conspiracy but given honda and the rebellious attitude they seem to have i personally would not want to be anywhere but in dani's seat right now(or marquez for next year)rant over.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices