Skip to content

Ask an Expert Lithium-ion Bike Batteries - are they worth it? Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Lithium-ion Bike Batteries - are they worth it?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andybunyan66

Feb 06

andybunyan66 says:

Lithium-ion Bike Batteries - are they worth it?

I am thinking about investing in one of these new Lithium-ion batteries, they appear to be lighter, safer, more compact than the traditional lead-acid ones. Has anyone tried one of these new style batteries and what did they think, any good?
Also are they as good as claimed on those frosty mornings when my battery grinds to a halt!!
I'm happy to spend good money on a battery that needs little maintenance and starts my bike when the temperatures drop to single figures.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 16:43)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

Welcome to the motorcycle forum,i understand the question but what bike/year/model are you talking about?

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Battery replacement

I put a Motobatt AGM battery on my Fazer this year.  It is far better than a standard unit but not overly expensive.  The bike fires up instantly - even after being left for a couple of weeks.  The life-span is supposed to be much better than a standard battery too but I haven't had it long enough to comment on that yet.    

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Get an trickle charger

My bike is connected up in the garage all winter. Disconnect and ride, plug back in when back, simples...

My Oxford one was about £40 3 years ago, great buy, minimal useage and switches on/off as needed

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

depends

They are great if you want to shed some weight, for a track bike for instance. The downside is the Ah capacity is much lower, so if your bike is standing for a long period with an alarm say, then it will flatten much quicker. And once the cells are flat then they're totally permanently knackered. If the battery is disconnected then they retain charge for years, unlike lead-acid which self-discharge. I made one for my bike with 8 cells bought on ebay and it's been fine. I only ride occasionally, and disconnect it between rides. I do notice that it doesn't crank as well, and on particularly cold mornings it struggles. I don't ride much in winter so not really a problem for me, but I don't think I'd bother with a Li-on battery for a daily commuter. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Lithium-ion batteries.

I looked into lithium-ion starter batteries a while ago and concluded that they weren't worth it unless ultimate light weight is your aim. I read that their shelf life is 2 to 3 years even when unused. I also read that their voltage is higher than a lead acid battery so the alternator might not be charging at low revs. Optimate do a lithium-specific charger.

Most of the on-line info relates to laptop batteries, electric vehicle batteries and pampered race bikes (sometimes with remote lead-acid starter batteries). Real world, road bike knowledge like tim8061's seems hard to come by.

I wouldn't say they're safer than lead acid. Remember Sony's fiery, explosive laptop batteries or the electric Chrysler Volt car which caught fire? In fairness the former was due to a minority of poorly manufactured units and the Chrysler had accident damage.

If you try one let us know how you get on.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices