Skip to content

Discuss This Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva

The UK’s biggest insurer is refusing cover for Honda Crosstourers unless riders agree to never carry a pillion. Aviva says the VFR1200X is a sports bike and on a list of machines the firm will not insure for carrying passengers. A spokeswoman said: ‘As you’re aware, some classes of motorbike are restricted regarding insurance for pillion passengers and this is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 17:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Their loss..

I scratch my head sometimes when it comes to insurance companies. Going back a while Aviva refused to renew my policy on a 10 year old diesel car of 90bhp. In the space of a year it had become "TOO SPORTY" for them to cover, the thing is it was probably the most sluggish car I've ever owned!

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Aviva...........

............SImples...............dont go with Aviva, How is a crosstourer a sports bike, all the clue's are there, its in the name you bunch of wally's

Reply to this Topic
slowdazzle

Feb 11

slowdazzle says:

i thought it was illegal to offer insurance without pillion cover unless the machine was not constructed to carry a pillion! after all a pillion is a third party!

Reply to this Topic
Cypher6

Jul 11

Cypher6 says:

Gone Mad?

OMG, yet another example of a company who seemingly don't know their arse from their elbow! How can any of their staff make the conclusion it is too sporty? Surely this can only be the decision of someone who knows nothing about bikes... A little worrying that a multimillion pound company doesn't know what products it is actually insuring. I certainly won't ever be going to them for a quote. I dread to think what they will say about my 12 year old ZX9R! Utter Planks!

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

Right

I don't think this is a bad decision by Aviva, it wasn't so long ago that a 'big' off road bike was a 600cc single. Now its a 1200cc V4 that is supposed to be capable off-road? Bollocks. I'm surprised they didn't refuse to cover it point blank. I don't know what the idea is behind the cylinder creep in the motorcycle market but clearly some companies won't put up with this crap any longer.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

dont go with aviva

They are terrible, I have had two friends get hit by cars whilst on their bikes, aviva were terribly awkward about the whole thing, tried to put 100% blame on them, refused to pay for their kit which they had covered, they are a terrible copany in general and even worse for insurance, avoid them.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Aviva

Were EXCELLENT when I was hit by a car on a roundabout. aftercare team were AMAZING.

Reply to this Topic
edmundolf

Jul 06

edmundolf says:

Madness

Next they'll be telling people they can't take passengers in a car!!

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Honda Says?

Has MCN been in touch with Honda UK? I would imagine they would want to straighten out this clerical error ;-) The adventure/touring class is supposed to be a big deal to there companies, not being able to actually go anywhere with your pillion kinda defeats the point.

Reply to this Topic
FLAT6CYL

Jul 11

FLAT6CYL says:

Correct me if i'm wrong......

but i seem to remember in '72 or '73 that the Goverment's Transport department made pillion insurance a COMPULSORY requirement on all bike policies? You always get asked these days if you will carry pillions on insurance proposal forms so maybe it's become optional ,but unless you have a single seater there's always a chance that you may carry a pillion. Having recently reinsured i did actually ask the question if it made any difference as i do not carry a pillion on one of my bikes ,as my wife hates this particular machine ,and was told it was not worth deducting as they just needed to know if i would be carrying pillions. For Aviva to class a pillion friendly bike like the Crosstourer as a sports bike is crazy. God knows what their going to class virtually all the dedicated Supersports and Superbikes as when virtually all of them have sandwich size pillion "pads" and no grab rails. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle