Skip to content

Discuss This Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Crosstourer too sporty for pillion insurance says Aviva

The UK’s biggest insurer is refusing cover for Honda Crosstourers unless riders agree to never carry a pillion. Aviva says the VFR1200X is a sports bike and on a list of machines the firm will not insure for carrying passengers. A spokeswoman said: ‘As you’re aware, some classes of motorbike are restricted regarding insurance for pillion passengers and this is...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 October 2012 17:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
likesitfast

Sep 11

likesitfast says:

Don't use them

simple as that - I'm 32 riding a GSXR 750 and they wanted over £2K to insure it with 9 years ncb. OK then!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Having never seen one on the road, I'm guessing that not many people are actually TRYING to insure one; for those that are, shop around. There's more than one company, after all! 

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

insurances

Do u see the insurance companies or rather the agents wanting details of car passengers. particularly those young 17 to 25 yr old drivers  who would, i f statistics are correct, have at least 3 accidents before their 25th Birthday and the   insurers would have to fork out for another 4 passengers all with bad necks and having nervous brakedowns..

No u dont.   the insurers via their agents like Aviva and Bennetts and Hastings have decided for whatever reason to  increased premiumsor refuse insurance and  imposing  stupid rules on us the motorcyclists.

If a car is designed to take passengers and no questions are ask by any insurance agent/company then why should motorcycles with afacility to take a passenger be subjected to this prejudice, cos thats what it is.

Maybe the insurance ombudsman should be made aware, has anyone who has been subjected to this debarcle informed them of what is going on and finding out just what they are playing at and whetehr it is legal and without prejudice.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Aviva not bike classification

Pillion insurance. It's a rip off. Bikes are designed to carry pillions. Car  insurance covers drivers and passengers. if in doubt, ditch em. They will then have to review their policy.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Test their knowledge!

Ring them for a quote for passenger cover on a Ducati Pannigale!

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

so what if it is sporty?

am i missing something here?

I've owned sportsbikes in the past, and I can't afford to own more than one bike at a time therefore I sometimes need to carry pillions on my sportsbike.

So, so what if Aviva think it's a sportsbike? surely the risk should be calculated more on the rider (age, NCB etc..).

I don't particuarly like crosstourers but I think Aviva's policy in this regard is very wrong. lots of people will buy them to go touring on, and that often means carrying a pillion.

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Bonly1

Aug 02

Bonly1 says:

PILLION COVER

I've been with Aviva for nearly two years now, house, car and Bike.

Fully comp on a Goldwing GL1800 (Sporty tourer) and Fazer 1000 (much more sportier tourer) have been reasonable. Me and the missus (pillion) enjoy touring together

Just bought me an old skool sports tourer FZR1000RU 1994 Foxeye which needs doing up over winter, might ride it once or twice 'cos winter's on us again! 

Aviva wanted a stupid amount to cover it (FZR Foxeye) for the remaining 5 months of my policy and with the stipulation that NO PILLION is carried. Uhh??  Doubt she'd wanna go on it anyway, but what about people who get into my car and visit my house too?? I ain't made a claim in 20+ years and have advanced Police instructor qualifications, so what jobsworth is giving instructions not to allow pillions on my FZR and the new Crosstourer? Is my GL1800 with alloy beam frame next? (sportier than the GL1500 according to reviews)

Guess the attractive policy with Aviva is changing and I'll be looking elsewhere when my renewal's due - Oh and I just sorned the FZR1000 - like fook was I gonna pay what Aviva wanted.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Bonly1!!

Goldwings are many things, but never, never, never a sports tourer!

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Vote with your feet!

Don't go there And I'm sorry but a Goldwing is about as sporty as a damp mattress.

Reply to this Topic
george shuttleworth

May 04

So in saying this and discriminating bikes on there type are they condoning riding fast if you ride a sports bike? The speed limit is the speed limit no matter what bike you ride... So what ever you ride in no way should affect passenger cover.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices