You are in... Forums > General > General > Got a question

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Got a question

My parents were never too chuffed about my having a bike back in the day.  Gave it up for about 10 years,  while travelling and stuff, now we're back in the saddle.

Should I bother telling them?  It'll only worry them, of course.  But biking is such an important part of my life, it's a shame not to be able to talk about it.

So - should I worry them, by showing this side of my life, or should I just never mention it?

Any perspectives on this appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 October 2012 02:53)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

What's the old saying

Ignorance is bliss ?

Or just turn up one day on the bike thats wot i did to my parents :shock:. Now if i go over and i'm in the car they get worried incase the bike is broken.............. :lol:

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Ahh well

My mum's a bit like that too.. Although, she let's me keep my track bike in her garage.. However we never talk about bikes, I never mention any stories.. She likes to bury her head in the sand and I don't want to upset her.. so It's just not a subject we discuss...

Oh.. and it's cos she used to work as a radiographer in large hospitals.. she saw the bad side of it so of course she's gonna worry

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Tell her

My mum was very upset when I passed my test (I was in my 30's).

However, she knows what it means to me, and accepts it is part of my life.
You don't have to rub her nose in it - but hiding it will make it seem as though you are ashamed.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Tell her.

Then when she starts with the, 'Oh I wish you wouldn't', remind her that she taught you to be honest and stand on your own feet.

Ask if she always did what her mother 'dictated' even when she became a mother herself.

It's unfair of parents to use 'guilt' to 'blackmail' their offspring when older to follow their parents wishes.

I wouldn't mind betting if you think back over discussions you have heard, or had with your parents, they have ignored their parents wishes at sometime in the past.  

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Mothers

My mum hates it too.  When I was younger and still living at home she would not go to sleep untill I had arrived home.  She still doesn't like the idea of me riding but as she doesn't know when I am out on my bike or not she has no cause to worry.  The only exception is when I am on my summer tours - even at the age of 50 I will call her at the end of each day when I reach a hotel to let her know that I am OK. 

You can't stop a mum from being a mum and I love her for it.   

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

bikes

my dad was an RAC Patrolman many years ago..I was about 5 ish so 35 yrs ago roughly..he was always meddling with cars, and bikes when i got into them at 7.  I have the bandit and the zzr, i think of my mum n dad, and my children/wife when i am out.  I always txt my wife even if its a short spin...i call my folks mostly every sat morning which I have forgot  today as I am wiring a new socket in the kitchen and keep getting disturbed..peeing me off tbh!

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

my mum and dad were over the moon with joy when i got my bike test passed. and i allways txt my wife when i get to work and when i am about to leave.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

My Mum used to hate it,

but now she seems to be quite keen and was quite disapproving when I sold the Harley.

I wouldn't mention it to your parents unless the subject comes up, but don't lie if they ever ask. It will spoil biking for you as you'll feel guilty every time you go out.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

Just buy them....

a copy of  TT 3D for Christmas....and after they've watched it tell them that Guy Martin is riding the same bike as yours only a bit bigger.:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

question

hi slowlearner, my opinion(for what its worth) i would tell them . not been the profit of doom , but if the worse happens and you have an accident (god forbid) and someone tells your parents that you just came of a bike , think how they will feel ? they would be , nah my boy aint got a bike , etc , etc just tell em.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices