You are in... Forums > General > General > Got a question

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Got a question

My parents were never too chuffed about my having a bike back in the day.  Gave it up for about 10 years,  while travelling and stuff, now we're back in the saddle.

Should I bother telling them?  It'll only worry them, of course.  But biking is such an important part of my life, it's a shame not to be able to talk about it.

So - should I worry them, by showing this side of my life, or should I just never mention it?

Any perspectives on this appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 October 2012 02:53)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

best to tell em...

you gotta live your life... My dad used to do recovery for the MET police... and most of the bike accidents he went to were fatals.. so he is understandably the most anti-bike person ive ever met......

i waited till i was 27 till igot a bike.. and my sister told him!! tho hes not keen on me riding.. he accepts that its something i love, and he accepts that he has to let me live my life... all he says to me now if he we discuss bikes is "just be careful" and treat "every one else as an idiot" 

as others said, how would folks feel if they suddenly got a knock from the boys in blue... and were totally unaware you were riding??

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

You should tell them

but I understand where you're coming from, my mother used to look at my bikes like they were about to devour her, everytime I pulled away from her house I got the frightened old lady look :wacko:

Didn't work :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Yes you better tell them.

I was lucky as I was born to a Bike loving family. They both encouraged me to get a bike (had to save for it all by myself, no HP in them days). Heres my Dad on the bike, I used to sit on the tank and go down the pub on Sundays for a lemonade and crisp's.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. Dad on RE  
  2. Dad on RE  
Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

davemdixon

if you tried that today you would be slung in jail .the old health n safety would be mortified.

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Well yes

I rode like that and so did everybody else in the '60s. Only bought a helmet if you were going any distance usually over 50 miles or so.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Appreciate it...

Thanks  for all the replies, comrades.

Actually it's the old man who's a lot more bothered about it than my mother.  She's got a bit more of the romantic, adventurous leaning... he's more of the give-me-the-facts sort of heavy thinking dude who just sees bikes as a wildly unnecessary risk.  

It's the old man I was concerned about worrying.  He said my earlier dabble with bikes (LC's particularly) is what gave him grey hair in the first place.

Everyone seems to be saying I should just show up with it, and put my dilemma to rest.   Would probably be for the best.

Thanks comrades!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle