Skip to content

Ask an Expert Why can Bikes not ride in the Bus lanes? Legal

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Why can Bikes not ride in the Bus lanes?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

Why can Bikes not ride in the Bus lanes?

Well once again I came accross a bike accident involving a biker who had been knocked off whilst weaving down inbetween cars in a trafic jam when one of them had changed lanes without indicating or looking in his/her mirror.
Now I commute every day into and out of BCN and before that London and I have seen many of these accidents but just next to them are bus lanes all empty except for the police, taxis or the odd bus. So why oh why are bikers prohibited from using these bus lanes? Given the use of the bus lanes we would become involved in less accidents and would have less need to brake the law by crossing double lines etc etc.
Does anyone have any idea why we cannot use the bus lanes and why dont we start a campaign to be able to use them. Given use of the bus lanes biker commutes would become safer and faster maybe inspiring more people to use Bikes and thus cutting down on congestion and pollution.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 October 2012 09:07)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
phantomrider

Jul 09

phantomrider says:

Why can't bikes use bus lanes

I ride in Bristol and bikes can use nearly all the bus lanes there.  You have to be careful at junctions as car drivers are looking for buses, but not necessarily bikes, but otherwise it works a treat.  So no reason why you can't - just depends on the view taken by the local authorities.  And therein lies your problem!!

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i use the us lane i my town and filter past lot of police car to

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

depends

Depends where abouts in the UK you are. It's not strictly illegal to use the bus lanes as a biker, but some councils don't allow it.

There are also subtle differences between explicit bus lanes and no-car lanes throughout cities - no-car lanes are available to taxis, vans, trucks, buses, bikes...pretty much anything except the regular Joe Bloggs in his hatchback.
Bus lanes can be exclusively for buses only OR anything except cars depending on the area.

Check with the local council to confirm their stance on it, or if they're a bunch of muppets then call 101 and talk to the po-po, get their advice.

Pretty stupid that it's different across the country though - there should be one standard really.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

it is illegal

it is illegal to ride in a bus lane unless it states otherwise.

every bus lane has a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) and that TRO will define what and when is allowed in that particular section of road.

no need to phone to ask if you are allowed there will be a picture of a bike on the sign at the start of the lane.

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

Well trouble is...........

I now live close to Barcelona and the bus lanes here are no go zone for bikers - cops with cameras etc.
However I did get pulled twice in london town about 10years back for the same subject - never fined just told off, some bobbies are good fellas.

Reply to this Topic
nickdiable

Oct 12

nickdiable says:

London's not too bad now

Since BoJo became Mayor, motorbikes have been allowed to use all bus lanes on red routes in London.  I'm pretty sure Boris said he wanted councils to open up bus lanes to motorbikes across London, some have opened up a lot.

I agree we should campaign to get access to all bus lanes.  It makes sense because motorbikes don't cause congestion, they don't stop buses getting about, it's safer for bikers and there's research that shows motorbikes in bus lanes is safer for peddle cycle riders as well - presumably because more big bikes makes car drivers more cautious of entering bus lanes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices