You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > automatic licence

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

happybloke

Oct 12

happybloke says:

automatic licence

i passed my test on a automatic nearly 2 years ago so i will be able to go over the 33bhp soon and would like to know if i am able to ride a semi automatic bike. iam looking at the yamaha fjr1300a or the honda nsa 700 a,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 October 2012 01:50)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i would phone the dvla or some one to make sure. bit i think you need a full geared license to run a semi auto

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Semi auto

Sorry but as you passed your test on fully automatic bike that's all you can ride. These new bikes are manual gear with an auto option, therefore not in your  licence bracket.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
Nic756

Oct 12

Nic756 says:

Automatic licence

You can ride Honda's DCT models, like the cross tourer or nc700. 

I'm in the same position with an automatic licence (although a bit longer to wait til my 2 years are up) and I emailed Honda to confirm.:smile

Not sure about the Yamaha though, might have to email them to check....

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

And there's more.................

Spoke to the DSA today (Driving Standards Agency) and they say that if the bike has a manual clutch and/or manual gear lever it is a manual bike. It must be fully automatic for you to ride it on an automatic licence. Honda will say yes because they want to shift product as would any other manufacturer.

Reply to this Topic
adam12547

May 13

adam12547 says:

DSA really?

What you wrote here is not true.

First on www.gov.uk is writen  this "If you pass your test on a motorcycle with automatic or semi-automatic transmission you’ll only get a full licence for those types of motorcycle".  there is no such think as semi-automatic motorbike driving licence. There are manual and automatic code 78. If there is no semi-automatic category it mean semi-automatic is automatic  in high way code. 
 “vehicle with automatic transmission” means a vehicle in which the person driving the vehicle
is either—
(i) not provided with any means whereby that person may vary the gear ratio between
the engine and the road wheels independently of the accelerator and the brakes, or
(ii) provided with such means but they do not include a clutch pedal or lever which that
person may operate manually,
(and accordingly, a vehicle with manual transmission is any other class of vehicle);

And one more from DSA

SEMI-AUTOMATIC SYSTEMS 

With these the driver has to select the gear required by movement of the gear lever as with a manually controlled gearbox, but there is no clutch pedal. For driving test and licensing purposes these vehicles are regarded as automatics.

Can you refer me to GOV website where I can see statement of DSA that sami-automatic bike aren't automatic bike but manual?

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Not true.......really?

I bow to your superior copy and paste.....I merely directed the question to a DSA Examiner and was informed that if presented for test, "semi-auto" would be counted as manual so go figure...........:dopeyhmmmm:

Reply to this Topic
adam12547

May 13

adam12547 says:

any documents?

But please copy and paste any document which can support claim made by you or DSA Examiner. All documents pasted by me are documents from government website, why should I believe  you and your DSA Examiner without any proof and not government website?

By the way, I started riding bike from a moped  49cc. I rode it on full driving licence category B made before 2001 without CBT and without L-plate. I was, on a few occasions, stopped by the police and  told that I was not allowed to drive this bike. On one occasion police told me that I will be prosecuted for riding the 49cc without a proper motorcycling licence. As I had proper licence for my bike (category B made before 2001) I haven't been prosecuted by the police. So, from my experience policemen often do not know law regarding this matter and if you do not copy and paste any document  I believe that your DSA Examiner also could not know law regarding this matter.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices