You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > gear selection

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

micepunk

Jun 12

micepunk says:

gear selection

zx6r b1h sometimes wont go down the box and sounds like it just wont connect with the gear even when i tap the lever down more than once, only happend twice on the road as im slowing for a bend also two times on a track day which gave me a bit of a moment.

any ideas what could be the problem? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 October 2012 20:52)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Gear change problems

These symptoms can be typical of improper chain tension and also worn cush-drives.  It is also worth checking your gear linkage to make sure that it is not siezing.  Lastly, is your clutch properly adjusted? 

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZX636 B1 2003-4?

Hi Micepunk

If all that MM says doesn't seem to do the job? you could have a worn gear select lever shaft,if the two dogs on the shaft don't push the selector cam change drum around enough to drop into each cam cut out it will sit on top of the lobe effectively not selecting the next gear or finding a false neutral.This can also sometimes occurs if you leave some pressure on the gear shift pedal(unknowingly)effectively pushing the selector drum around enough again so the dogs on the shaft  pushed the selector cam onto the top of the cam and not into its next cut out.Hope this makes sense,i know what i mean its just hard to explain it when writing it down?.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
micepunk

Jun 12

micepunk says:

cheers fellas ill get a mates mate to have a look at it at some point cos il prob break something if i touch it:ph43r:

another thing i forgot to say is that sometimes when i put it in first and i let the clutch out to pull off it sometimes jumps out of gear if thats any more help to you.
 once again cheers for the info.
edit: yes kcmc thats the bike b1h 04 and its done just over 7000 miles

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZX636 B1 2003-4

Hi again

It could be just poor adjustment so check all that out first(what MM has said),if it has good quality new oil and filter as well but is still doing it,but with you now saying it not making it into first gear every time,its sounding more like a selector dogs on the gear shaft.There about £80 new from a main dealer,and about two hours labour if you don't do it yourself,but do exhaust all the adjustment ideas first .Good Luck 

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
micepunk

Jun 12

micepunk says:

cheers again :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Shift.

Factory Pro's Star Shift is an interesting product (-anyone tried them?) and there's a video at the bottom which might support kcmc's dogs 'n' drums description, I dunno.

(Edit: Actually I don't think the video helps here, the action is going on behind all that gubbins. Again, I dunno.)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Thanks

for that James,that's exactly what am talkin about,i have never fitted one of those after market star shift roller type arm and heaver spring,but its no different fitting one of them as fitting a standard one.I have ridden bikes with this fitted and yes the gear shift is a lot crisper and more precise,but if the shift shaft is now worn this will need to be replaced to reap any benefit.Good find though James:biggrin:.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices