Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

Helmets are currently the only item of protective clothing which must be worn while riding a motorcycle in the UK, although in some places around the globe no protective clothing is required. Is a helmet enough, or should we legally have to wear more? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
craig1000

Sep 12

craig1000 says:

your safety and skin is your responsibility, so if you want to wear a leather waistcoat and jeans or a one piece suit, its up to you.

Reply to this Topic
Bigdog365

Feb 09

Bigdog365 says:

Wear it, or pay the consequences

How about making anyone who gets injured while not wearing protective gear having to pay the costs of the NHS for sticking them back together again?  We all have the choice, but why should the responsible ones have to pay for the care of the numpties?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"pay the costs of the NHS"

can of worms...smokers,drinkers....church goers it'll never end.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

When I was in NAM.....

I saw no Power rangers, Charlie Bormans, Day Glo Dereks or safety camera wielding NIMBY liberal HippoCrats. Oh No.... Just a country full of people going about their business One up, Two up, Three up Bugger me, some even took the family and the odd Cow or three. This Country is way too full of Health and Safety fuckwits. IMHO.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

yes

After smashing my body in an accident last year I've become obsessed with leather and armour!

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

halfwits

sadly there are still a few dimwits who dont appreciate the consequences of a crash.the premise that it is only themselves they are hurting is rubbish the a and e departments log all accidents and the politicians pounce on any chance to hammer motorcycling

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Just gloves

I just think that along with Helmets gloves should be a legal requirement .WHY ? because if you mess yer hands up whos gonna wipe yer bum , pick yer nose or dial yer mobile ? Ok  and theres the relife thing yeah yeah !

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

sad

Given that 2/3rd's think they know better I assume none of them do track days...Zero choice there and a lot less things to get hurt by. 2 years ago a mate and I came off on gravel at about 40mph..I had full textile kit, he had a jacket and jeans....I got up,dusted myself down and called for an ambulance for my mate...the ground tore his jeans to shreds, his jacket rolled up his back and he had nasty gravel rash on his lower back. The moral is that when given the choice..people make mistakes but for sure even if it is compulsory people will ignore it as they do with car seat belts....play with your health if you want.

Reply to this Topic
luckyskua

Jan 11

luckyskua says:

It should be encouraged

I pulled into a petrol station and a driver reversed from the pumps into the side of the bike. This stopped it dead and I did a handstand over the bars and landed in front of the bike on my back! (the vehicle tow bar hit my leg). I was wearing full 1-piece leathers with body armour and I was present at work the next day. If I had been wearing any less I don't think I would have been and this was only a small accident. I expect I would have had a puncture wound to the leg and a badly bruised pelvis - I also don't think it is helpful when Police refer to a 1-piece as a 'body bag'

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Get protected from your own stupidity

Full kit should be a legal requirement.

Cars should also have a fivepoint harness and head restraint that connects to your legally required open face helmet (like NASCAR).

Pedestrians require full leathers, armour, and 5 layers of bubble wrap.

You should also be banned from walking and eating in case you trip and choke.

All baths must be taken with three people in the room in case you slip and drown.

You may not collect anything from under a table without an appropriate helmet.

If you need to get something from a shelf that is too high, you need to wait for a taller person to come along. You could fall off a ladder or box too easily.

Cups of tea may only be consumed once you are wearing full heatproof waterproof clothing; unless they are cooled to room temperature first.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices