Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

Helmets are currently the only item of protective clothing which must be worn while riding a motorcycle in the UK, although in some places around the globe no protective clothing is required. Is a helmet enough, or should we legally have to wear more? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MankeyJohn

Sep 12

MankeyJohn says:

No but  if you do you could get cheeper insurance or a couple of months free. leathers are defently need on anything from 125+.

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

no

While I always get togged up to go on the bike, it should be down to the individual.Too much crap is forced on us already.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Never. If you're going 2 mins down the road at 25mph to buy a loaf of bread, you shouldn't be forced to spend 15mins getting into and out of protective gear. Can I just point out that no-one has suggested that mountain climbing should be restricted or sailing and skiing banned as these are perceived as being activities for "nice" people. It's not the same scale, but the attitude to motorcycling by the government and the courts is similar to the attitudes that were held against football fans.. (note: not including plod - they're ok generally with us if yer not being a knob)

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Swim wear

Here in Iowa there is no specific clothing (or helmet for that matter) requirement for riding a motorcycle, other than indirectly through indecent exposure laws - cover the naughty bits and you are legal.

However, I would be for a full-gear law since I wear it already, and it would really piss off the biker crowd (biker in the US has connotations that go well beyond riding a motorcycle, unlike the UK usage).

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Vegan Clothes?

Not wearing leathers anywhere but the track, and maybe not even there. I figure if an Aerostich Roadcrafter with full pad set and back protector is not enough, I have bigger problems than road rash.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Horse riders have 20 times as many serious injuries per hour

Let alone per mile.  Start with them.

It's bad enough that the DSA have already set themselves up as arbiters of "safety".  Apparently they have a better grasp of what's "safe" and what's not than the BSI.  £4 Primark denim jeans are safety wear now?  Who knew?

I think we should be OK though, since Vision Zero is all about reducing deaths, and only deaths.  Rider deaths tend to come from high speed impacts.  Helmets are already mandatory and short of mandating airbag vests (oh hai, I have one) other safety gear isn't going to reduce them by much.

So I don't think this is a realistic proposition, quite apart from the essential impossibility of Plod stopping us and rummaging around in our pants for the "CE" label that (wait for it) isn't present anyway on the vast majority of clothing that's currently sold for motorcycle use.

Incidentally, I'm a Dayglo Derek and own an airbag vest, but I will be God damned if I'd mandate their use by anyone else.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

No

I think you're an idiot if you don't. All the gear, all of the time. You can argue for a few exceptions, but I'm going to ignore those edge cases.

I do, however, support your right to be an idiot and as it isn't harming others - rock on I say.  Rip your skin off and disfigure yourself for life.  Just make sure you have sufficient insurance to cover all your medical bills, because whilst I support your right to be an idiot, I'm not totally sure I want to pay for your idiocy.

So let's say such a law did come in; what would satisfy it?  CE armour?  Or a CE item of clothing (i.e. frabic and armour).  Will we get the same situation as helmets where £40 jobs are made to pass the test, but may not do the job in real life?  Will all police have to carry RFID scanners to check if you kit meets regulations?  Will your current kit be grandfathered?  So for these practical limitations I'd also be against such a law.

Would such a law also apply to horse riders, skaters and cyclists?  What about cagers?  Should they wear helmets, neck braces and 6-point harnesses?  No.

Life is dangerous then you die.  Take sensible precautions and try your best not to become a statistic.  Can't do much more than that really.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

It's a simplistic view, but given that we choose to ride, surely we choose what protective kit we wear? Making it law just erodes another bit of precious freedom. Personally, I'd prefer that poor old Daisy, who gave up her life to make leathers, did not die in vain, so I wear her with pride (oooer). Sorry Daisy, but thanks. By the same token, if I choose wrongly and it goes horribly wrong, I'll have plenty of time to reflect on my mistaked, which is true throughout all of life.

Toodlepip.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

freedom

Someone doesn't want to pay for someones medical treatment if they happen to come off not wearing the right gear. Do you pay for someone to have treatment if they drink too much, smoke, eat too much. The fact is we are not all mr and mrs perfect and have the freedom to indulge as we please if we start choosing who we want to treat it will be an awful scenario of selfishness and thinking of only number one and a bad bad move towards a sick backward thinking society. live free and help others live the life they choose.Thats the price.

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

full kit?

A legal definition of "full riding kit" would be interesting. No, not interesting, horrifically complicated.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices