Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should full riding kit be a legal requirement?

Helmets are currently the only item of protective clothing which must be worn while riding a motorcycle in the UK, although in some places around the globe no protective clothing is required. Is a helmet enough, or should we legally have to wear more? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 16:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

we need more dead bikers!

Don't make it law, use it as a form of natural selection. The stupid will die of their injuries, the intelligent will survive to ride again. If protective clothing doesn't protect you, why don't racers wear thin lycra suits to reduce weight? Even jeans and a t-shirt would be lighter than any race suit. Can paramedics use the 'it should be my choice' when scraping you from the road?

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

we need more dead bikers!

Don't make it law, use it as a form of natural selection. The stupid will die of their injuries, the intelligent will survive to ride again. If protective clothing doesn't protect you, why don't racers wear thin lycra suits to reduce weight? Even jeans and a t-shirt would be lighter than any race suit. Can paramedics use the 'it should be my choice' when scraping you from the road?

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

yep

If people are too stupid to spend two minutes putting on some protective clothing I guess it needs to be made a legal requirement.

The hospitals have got better things to be doing.

Reply to this Topic
jimmuck

Nov 09

jimmuck says:

I cannot believe I am reading this, how things have changed, I have been riding bikes since 1976 and have  never owned what you call full riding kit, nor do I intend to, the most I have is a waterproof jacket that happens to have body armour that I wear on wet days with an old padded pair of wax cotton trousers, otherwise its a traditional leather jacket and jeans. No accidents no injuries because I treat every road user as someone out to get me and ride accordingly, the day riding gear is compulsary is the day I give up the bike, perhaps buy a trike so I can ride it with no helmet.

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

No.

It should be a personal choice if they want to wear protective gear. I don't want yet another part of my life to be regulated by the state. The police have enough powers to harass motorcyclists without giving them another excuse.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

muddybus.....

You ask "why why why"???? Well there are Bikers that ride,"day in day out" and have done so for Many Many Years, wearing all manner of strange gear from leather helmets to wax cotten jackets Shorts and T shirts, All in one Leathers and Paddock jackets. If they all crashed every time they went out then I can understand your comments....... BUT they don't. On A building site you have to wear a Protective helmet..... Guess what? it won't help if a crane drops an RSJ on your head. Got to go now apparently there's an Asteroid heading for Earth and I can't find my Umbrella.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Its about reducing the risk

Snev, old chum, we all try to reduce the risk of injury every day. I wear a seatbelt when I drive. I ride with my lights on, day and night. I put a bathmat on the floor so I dont slip when getting out of the shower. I wear shoes to protect my feet when I walk. I wear a helmet on my bike, to protect my head should I crash. Its about making sure, that should the worst happen, you've done all that you can to help to protect yourself to live longer, and hopefully ride another day. I don't see what the problem is with that?

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Its about reducing the risk

Snev, old chum, we all try to reduce the risk of injury every day. I wear a seatbelt when I drive. I ride with my lights on, day and night. I put a bathmat on the floor so I dont slip when getting out of the shower. I wear shoes to protect my feet when I walk. I wear a helmet on my bike, to protect my head should I crash. Its about making sure, that should the worst happen, you've done all that you can to help to protect yourself to live longer, and hopefully ride another day. I don't see what the problem is with that?

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Law or not?

I don't think it should become law, common sense should make it the norm.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

NO

We're already inundated with laws that take away our freedoms.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices