Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are electric bikes the future? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

Electric bikes are slowly but surely catching up to traditional motorcycles, with electric bike manufacturer Brammo claiming their Empulse makes 54bhp and has a range of up to 120 miles. With the relentless charge of technology it's only a matter of time before electric bikes are equal and better than what we have today, but would you ride one? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 17:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

last saturday i did 132 miles i don't fancy calling the AA every weekend or sitting around for 3-10 hours, batteries just aren't efficient enough to work and they weigh + cost too much :S you need a quick refill system to remotely stand a chance at meeting end users needs hydrogen cell to power small battery to power electric motor works, ignoring the costs and unfinished beta technology of course ignoring the fuel issue, electric motor torque output is awesome, would be fun to test ride one

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Not going to happen

in the short medium term. They're just a quirky diversion for greenies.

I saw an E race at Oschersleben a couple of months ago. Just a quiet eerie 'whirrr' - completely uncaptivating. We like our bikes loud and viscereal.

Christ I sold my boring sounding FJ1200  twenty plus years ago after sitting behind a Ducati for 50km delighting it the aural pleasure it provided me. Been hooked on the rhythm and beat of 90 degree Italian twins ever since.

Whirr and whoosh just doesn't do it. Nor is the internal combustion engine dead - not by a long shot.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Are electric bikes the future?

No. Despite years of R&D, suitable batteries haven't appeared (lightweight, long range and shelf life, quick to recharge and cheap). Thus electric vehicles will never be a replacement for internal combustion. Bio-fuels will be the thing, with microbes producing hydrocarbon fuels from waste materials.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

I don't understand the appeal

If its purely a financial thing and we're saying its cheaper, fine. It is. But to call electric bikes (or anything else that runs off the household mains for that matter) green is completely wrong. You have to remember where the electricity comes from. In this country most of our electricity is produced by coal fired power stations, which is about as unfriendly to the environment as you can get. Then of course huge amounts of the power produced is lost while making it travel along huge cables, not to mention the deliberate loss of voltage from thousands, to a useable 240v at your domestic outlet. So in essence massively inefficient and harmful to the environment.

For this to change the production methods of electricity must be cleaner and greener, and the supply of the electricity much more efficient.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Forgotten point

in all the hype of electric vehicles - once the oil runs out, what do we use to build our roads with?

Not only that, but insufficent research has gone into their environmental efficiency compared to internal combustion engines (bearing in mind our electric comes from primarily fossil fuelled power stations).

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Recycling and bio-technologies.

Very true, Supermario, the Greens will say electric vehicles don't add directly to the local smog in places like downtown Tokyo, which is fine but ignores the bigger picture. They'll also say it is more efficient to burn fossil fuels in a carefully-controlled manner in power stations but then, as you said, that's negated by the losses in getting that electricity to where it is needed and turning it into revs (as it is with petrol too, to be fair).

AdieR, that's a good point too. We use the refined products of crude oil to make plastics, medicines, so many valuable things. In fact as the oil runs out we'll think burning it is crazy.

Recycling and bio-technologies will have to fill the void. Some time in the future we'll be mining our old landfills for plastics

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Not me...

"Some time in the future we'll be mining our old landfills for plastics"

...I'll be driving up and down anarchy road in the last of the V8 interceptors

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

maybe

if the pace of development and investment continues i reckon within 10 years they will outperform any petrol engine and be practical,new battery technology is the key and if they throw enough money at it that will be solved.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Green.......

Delusion is Rife. It will never save the planet, Never.

Reply to this Topic
drivin98

Oct 12

drivin98 says:

The only way electric bikes fall short of gas bikes is effective range. While some might not prefer their relatively low noise levels, they are better handling (no reciprocating mass) and easier for new riders to learn on (no gear shifting (ok, except for the pictured Brammo Empulse. That has a 6-speed gearbox)). Now, consider that batteries on bikes have doubled in capacity (around 10 kWh to 20 kWh in the bikes racing in the Isle of Man ZeroTT) in the past few years, battery prices have halved, and fast-charging networks are now being put in place. It may not happen tomorrow, but eventually, electrics will have a very strong presence on the roads. Some people may still want to ride noisy, high-maintenance machines filled with increasingly-expensive petrol in the future but that number will fall as electric riders increase.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices