Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are electric bikes the future? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

Electric bikes are slowly but surely catching up to traditional motorcycles, with electric bike manufacturer Brammo claiming their Empulse makes 54bhp and has a range of up to 120 miles. With the relentless charge of technology it's only a matter of time before electric bikes are equal and better than what we have today, but would you ride one? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 17:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Zero emmisions is just a statistic

Just like car and bike advertising now advertises MPG and emissions why should an electric vehicle not be able to state its emissions information without being questioned?

Bob_1, I would love it if you can actually show everybody your source of the fact where a petrol engined vehicle is less polluting than an electric vehicle.

Just look up Tesla's Superchargers if anyone is really interested in an EV's green credentials and practicality.

Or watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YfTiRNzbSko

Many batteries once discharged can now be recycled or disposed of very safely, more easily than exhaust fumes for example.

My point is that bikes have to suit the owners needs, if you want to travel long distances at fast speeds then buy a petrol bike.

As there is effectively a charging station in everyones home the hydrogen fuel cell will never ever ever be in mass production. Decades and millions of dollars have been spent, or wasted, on this.

I like the fact there is a choice of what fuel I can use for my vehicle.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Kerbfinder asks:

"Bob_1, I would love it if you can actually show everybody your source of the fact where a petrol engined vehicle is less polluting than an electric vehicle."

I suggest you start here  at ZME Science and maybe try Googling something like "electric cars carbon footprint". 

As for whether an electric vehicle or a petrol vehicle is the most polluting: take the whole-life carbon footprint into account for the answer. Remember also that even for daily running if you charge an electric vehicle at peak times, when the power is coming from polluting coal-fired or gas power stations and not wind power, it's likely to be dirtier than using petrol.  Don't take my word for it, ask the experts.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

The actual electricity is bad

Well how do we produce electricity - over 40% still comes from coal/gas fired generators so fine an electric bike/car maybe a good idea but first create clean fuel whatever it maybe - Hydrogen is the future but how to produce it that is the problem.

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

A Reply To Bob_1

I read the link Bob_1 and niether the journalist or the paper he based his article on supported you views. In fact it estimates that from the point of mining for the materials of the car to the disposal of it an EV will be 29% less polluting. Apart from the attention grabbing heading the journalist was fairly unbiased and pointed out many environmental benefits of for EV's. In your defence the article estimates that twice as much pollution is initially created due to 'toxins to humans entering fresh water' during the mining for battery materials. Not very good obviously. This is based on an assumption of the power density of the battery cells and as we know batteries are getting more powerful for their size quickly. And as for dirty electricity, things are changing. Scotland last year produced 35% of its electric from renewable sources, wave, wind and solar. Coal fired power stations are looking into carbon capture techniques which will catch the pollution at source. I think there is a place for electric bikes. I don't understand why the arguments against them sound so unfair.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

One day

It will be cheaper to own one of them than petrol for sure. Hopefully they find or use something explosive like hydrogen which should be easier to make engines for since its the same type of reaction , gas goes boom , engine turns.

Electricity is cheaper to product through , hydrogen needs to be manufactured but is more explosive than petrol (look up hydrogen bombs , they make a pretty big boom) whereas electricity can just be picked up from the sun or from the wind or nuclear whatever which is alot less work for them to do as they already do it anyway.

The thing is , the manufacture and storage of electricity would need to be improved. Storage is moving on but manufacture is not. In the UK , according to the BBc , we have about 30% spare electricity which is there for emergencies. We would need more power stations in order to produce enough energy for all the homes AND all the cars.

Then there is storage. We have batterries but they arent nearly as good storage wise as petrol (we get much more mileage from petrol as the same weight in electrical storage) but then electrical engines tend to be lighter than a combustion engine.

We could have just the right batteries tomorrow which will allow this to come true , but more likely we have a few more years yet...

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Kerbfinder

In a way Bob is correct. While the vehicles themselves produce almost zero emissions , the process to actually create the electricity in the first place causes huge emmissions in most cases (unless you use green energy plans or something). I think that is what Bob means...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

seriously fellas......

we are all pawns. In a couple of years, BullShit will be In... oh wait a minute....

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

"40%" of energy from coal/gas? Jog on.

Latest from the Department of Energy and (Jesus wept) "Climate Change" says (generation in GWh)

• Coal: 293,444
  • Gas: 275,591
  • Nuclear: 181,732
  • "Renewables": 14,696
  • Wind: 12,675
  • Hydro: 7,500
  • Oil: 4,023

I make that 72.6% coming from fossil fuels, 23% from nuclear, with all ecomental scams taken together managing just a token 4.4%.  And that's from a Department that's got a vested interest in fiddling the figures to big up ecomental generation.

All electric vehicles in the UK are a bad joke from an ecomental perspective, and will remain that way until we transition through thorum fission to fusion.  I'm OK with using ecomentals for reactor shielding, they're certainly thick enough.

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

I can't wait to get the Honda RC-E as a track bike, it looks a proper hoot.......   and can see the electric scooter ideal for the city commute.

We'll have to wait to see if electric vehicals pans out cause we've been waiting for solar panals in to residential houses to go mainstream since the 70s and I don't see that happening any time soon.

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Your missing the point Rogerborg, even if the dirtiest electricity is used an electric vehicle is still no more polluting than a petrol vehicle.

The amount of electricity it takes to refine a gallon of petrol could drive an average electric car 16-20 miles. I bet not many people consider how much electric goes into getting their petrol vehicle down the road.

http://gatewayev.org/how-much-electricity-is-used-refine-a-gallon-of-gasoline

Dont forget the impact oil rig leaks have. BP are selling off $24 BILLION of assets to pay for the leaks damage caused off the coast of USA.

The power of an electric motor is unreal! Maximum torque at zero rpm, none of this peaking at 6000rpm and needing 6 gears.

Dont be brainwashed by the oil company propaganda. Electric wont replace petrol or diesel, its just a cool option.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices