Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are electric bikes the future? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

Electric bikes are slowly but surely catching up to traditional motorcycles, with electric bike manufacturer Brammo claiming their Empulse makes 54bhp and has a range of up to 120 miles. With the relentless charge of technology it's only a matter of time before electric bikes are equal and better than what we have today, but would you ride one? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 17:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

On the subject of batteries, a little diversion -

Little girl says "Mum, can I have a rabbit?"

Mum replies "No, use your finger like I have to".

Toodles!

Reply to this Topic
DorisM88

Oct 12

DorisM88 says:

Welcome to___Seekingbikers [Please Google it]___the largest dating site for motorcycle enthusiasts. Have a try and you'll find your biker soul mate to ride and travel together. +_+

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

billysollocks

There is a time and a place for comments like that..................... well done.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

are electric bikes the future...?

Are they hell as like.... bring on Nuclear fuel cells, all the power you can handle and at least 25 years range. Oh hang on a minute, I think Suzuki already have the BUSA.

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Potential

I'm bored of hearing the 'electric vehicles are actually just as polluting because of the materials they're made of and the way the electricity is generated' horse being flogged. As much as we all love it, internal combustion is old technology with extremely limited scope for any further development. Electric vehicles are at a relatively new stage of development, and have the potential to become more economical to produce, and the potential to be powered by renewable energy sources in future.

Range is obviously a problem for electric vehicles, but then battery technology has been one of the fastest-improving areas of practical science in recent years, and viable elctric vehicles can't be far off now. Just think, in the last 30 years, mobile phones have gone from insanely expensive briefcase-sized luxuries to dirt cheap, wallet-sized consumables that 12-year-old kids think nothing of losing down the back of the sofa. Over the same time, the core technology in motor vehicles has stood almost completely still.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"Battery technology has been one of the fastest-improving areas of practical science in recent years."

I wasn't going to contribute to this thread again but since my message hasn't got through I'll say again, battery technology hasn't progressed at the necessary rate and it seems it doesn't have enough potential (excuse the pun) to ever fill the gap. Bio-fuels have their problems, including competing for food stocks, but algal and microbial processes have the potential to produce fuels for internal combustion engines from waste materials. Battery powered electric vehicles are at best a niche product.

Reply to this Topic
may c

Aug 02

may c says:

electric bikes

i think its well nice that bike 120 mile range would do me fine as im retired and dont often do more than 50 mile round trips now.trouble is as these cars and bikes get more sales and they will .pay as you drive /ride will be the norm.

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Battery vehicles are a niche product

I like this production road bike from Lightening Motorcycles

170+ HP............. 218MPH

Maybe the battery range will put you off? It has a combined city and highway milage range of over 150 miles.

http://www.lightningmotorcycle.com/product/specs/

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Ha! Don't believe the hype.

"Under moderate highway riding averaging 70 mph, a 100-plus-mile range is possible on the Lightning. On the other hand, during the Isle of Man TT race, the batteries were depleted at the end of the 38-mile lap."

500lb motorcycle.
$38,000

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2012-lightning-motorcycles-exclusive-first-ride-video-91402.html

Niche alright.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

kerbfinder,

Anyhow, you said yourself, "Electric won't replace petrol or diesel, its just a cool option." I agree but the topic is, "Are electric bikes the future?" No, it seems not, not widely anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle