Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are electric bikes the future? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

Electric bikes are slowly but surely catching up to traditional motorcycles, with electric bike manufacturer Brammo claiming their Empulse makes 54bhp and has a range of up to 120 miles. With the relentless charge of technology it's only a matter of time before electric bikes are equal and better than what we have today, but would you ride one? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 17:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

James600zx

But don't the petrol bikes need a pit stop for fuel after just 2 laps of the Isle of Mann TT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wTVqR7S7IIo

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Yes but that's twice the distance and, what was that pit stop, 45 seconds? I couldn't tell how much of that was refuelling. You can quote excellent individual stats for electrics but the whole package doesn't fit the requirements. It's battery technology which is the problem and as I've said several times, I don't see any indication that the situation will improve.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

For some

Electric bikes will have a place, particularly as a commuter bike. Charge it overnight, ride to work, charge it at work, ride home. But you couldn't plan a ride around wales on one, you'd ride for 2hrs, then have to stay overnight whilst it recharged. What you could do on a petrol bike in half a day would take you half a week on an electric bike.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

There

will be the sort of people who use a 125cc right now who would like the extra power who will buy an electric bike. Most people have no intention of doing any distance on a 125 and use them purely for commuting. I'd love an electric bike with one gear and full torque on tap all the time for commuting but I doubt it'd stop me having a petrol bike for example if I was doing on call work or if my grandma needed help in the middle of the night - the electric bike might not be charged when I was called out. In the end I'd probably decide that the cost of the two bikes is too much and it'd take years to claw back the investment in petrol savings. Might as well get a superduke for instant access torque and still be in pocket for a few years despite the extra petrol cost. Mmmm... superduke. *dribbles*

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

hydrogen

is the future. Extracted using clean, cheap nuclear power. Once the safe storage is sorted and ideally when the idiot petrol companies realise that it is the future and get into the extraction game / add it to their existing infrastructure then it'll take off. At the moment really the electric game is just sorting out the drive side of things for the hydrogen when it comes out. Batteries are not the future. Electric is.

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Your argument against electric bikes is quite stereotypical James600zx.

Everybody knows that batteries cannot hold as much energy as a petrol tank and off mains electric they may take a few hours to charge. This is their weakness. Although tesla do have a supercharger network growing in america where you can charge 300miles worth of power into a car in 30min. Oh, and its free to the user, yes really, free fuel for life! This is from solar panels and if its not charging cars its feeding the grid. Everyones a winner.

If you were to say you dont fancy having over 300v DC between your legs then thats fair enough. Some people may not want flammable liquid sloshing just inches away from a hot exhaust pipe inches from their nads either.

For a lot of people a range of 120 miles does fit their requirements. Cheap convenient fuel, very little maintenance required ( just 1 moving part in a motor and no oil change), regenerative braking saves brake wear. Never have to stop and muck about at a petrol station, blah blah blah, There really should be a place in the market for them alongside other bikes.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tesla.

Actually I think I've been very fair kerbfinder, and it's you who is evangelistic about electric bikes.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. http://www.motornature.com/2012/09/the-crazy-plan-of-free-superfast-solar-charging-for-tesla-model-s-owners/

Just hope there isn't a queue for charging.

"There really should be a place in the market for them alongside other bikes."

There is. It's called a niche.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

But everywhere in that article says it will be free James600zx?

The auther thinks he has a better business mind than Elon Musk who is one of the founders of PayPal.

The solar panels are being installed by Tesla's sister company not Tesla, maybe thats why it is affordable to achieve, and free as your linked article says.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

??

Can I interest you in some magic beans?

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

Gears

Id be more inclined to get a electric bike if they had gears just like petrol bikes do, after all gears is what seperates us from scooters right? Also i wouldnt get a electric until there was at least a 200mile range with mabye 100 bhp

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices