Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are electric bikes the future? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are electric bikes the future?

Electric bikes are slowly but surely catching up to traditional motorcycles, with electric bike manufacturer Brammo claiming their Empulse makes 54bhp and has a range of up to 120 miles. With the relentless charge of technology it's only a matter of time before electric bikes are equal and better than what we have today, but would you ride one? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 17:13)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Give me ....

A Library full of books..... rather than a Kindle.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

Total con

NO NO NO

17 hour charge , when it take 5 mins to fuel up not bloody chance

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Off to the moon??? 17hrs!!??

Just do a 15 second battery swap like in a Ripperton R1

http://evmotorcycle.org/drupal_evmotorcycle/?q=taxonomy/term/6

He got mocked initially when he said he wanted to build the lightest race bike possible. But its now 40kgs lighter than a standard dry R1.

Anyway, oil has been found off the coast of Ireland now so petrol will now be cheaper right? Bloody hope so :)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

oil off Ireland....

Good news ....... For the Euro.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Ripperton.

Another interesting reference kerbfinder, and I hate to keep diss-ing such cool technology but you’re being selective with your facts again. The battery adds 50kg to your quoted figure and the bike will do just half a lap of the TT. If we weren’t discussing the future of transport I’d be lauding this as a very clever, competent piece of kit but cost, battery range, re-charging speed, life-span, disposal  and “green credentials” aren’t addressed by this project.

Reply to this Topic
kerbfinder

Oct 12

kerbfinder says:

Sorry, I was being selective but wasn't trying to be miss leading. I wanted to just mention the battery swap but the the engineering to get the weight off is impressive. Ok, i'll clear this up Ripperton R1 chassis, electrics, motor etc.... = 91kgs Battery pack = 50kgs Total = 141kgs I can't remember which year R1 he converted sorry But a 2005 R1 dry weight is 172kgs and wet 193kgs. Just so you dont think i'm being selective, the 2013 R1's wet weight is 206kgs. The Ripperton R1 is a race bike so the battery is sized for the tracks he races on in Australia. As for recharge time it all depends on the power supply at the track. Anything from 30mins upwards. The batteries aren't always the limiting factor now. Anyway, his battery pack lasts a whole race and he can swap to a spare in 15seconds so there is no problem for him. As for cost? he is a privateer, so probably a bit cheaper than what Honda would spend on a race bike. He doesn't need to think about environmental impact, he can just discharge the batts and put them in the bin to dispose of them or recycle them. They're not toxic nowadays. http://www.bmfa.org/resources/lipobatteries.html Oh, and they only allow water in the cooling systems on tracks in Aus, no additives to prevent slipping on spills. Which is very odd as petrol and oil are obviously allowed?

Reply to this Topic
harataiki

Jul 12

harataiki says:

I hope to be dead long before the smell of a dirty 2-Stroke, or the rumble of a Triumph Triple is taken from my nose and ears. If you can get an electric to sound and smell like a 1974 Trident T150v, then I'll be sold.

Reply to this Topic
CenterOfMass

Oct 12

CenterOfMass says:

Fuel cells

Electric bikes would be awesome if they could have decent range(milage), quicker recharge time and were cost competetive.   What about fuel cell tech. The exist methane and methanol fuel cells that can produce up to 5kW, they are expensive now but little research has gone into manufacturing efficiencies.

Another possibility is capacatance storage instead of or in conjunction to battery storage. The beauty of capacitance storage is the speed of recharging the system.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

They're the future. No smelly fumes, instant and constant torque throughout the rev range. Petrol stations will become battery exchange depots. The only problem is the lack of noise. Suppose they'll just put speakers with your choice of vintage bike as the soundtrack.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices