Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sehp

Sep 12

Sehp says:

Every second hand bike i have bought has gone wrong. I'd buy a new one, firstly, warranty will save money on repairs, and then selling it will be easier, or get an ex showroom one.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

I have only ever fully out right owned my bikes, and i think things going wrong or maintenance is part of owning a bike, if things go wrong you learn to fix it, you learn how to maintain it, and for me thats a huge part of owning a bike. I have no respect for bikers that dont know their way round their bike in regards to basic mechanics, they should stick to their cars

Reply to this Topic
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

get a decent low mileage well looked after 2nd hander, you'll save yourself thousands

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Yes and no

A big difference between old and new is that if a new bike goes tits up the manufacturer usually pays for the repairs.

Then there's depreciation which is usually worse on a new bike.

Reply to this Topic
firkit

Apr 05

firkit says:

2 hand

All my bikes have bin 2 hand and never had a prob with them but they were all mint had my bike now 6 yrs and put on 20k on it and not a prob it's a aptilia tuono factory yes the 1 with oz ohlins brembo carbon fiber slipper clutch close ratio box etc etc etc

Reply to this Topic
craig1000

Sep 12

craig1000 says:

secondhand

save up another grand over winter and you'll get your self a decent secondhand 600 for next season

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

too right

Good point my man - I too have always owned my bikes (cars too but thats by the by they are just transport for the family) and to own a bike is to me like owning an animal you have to learn to look after it and you in turn will learn.
Dont buy new buy second hand but take mates/family/mechanics with you who can advise you in your purchase.

Reply to this Topic
CaNsA

Jul 09

CaNsA says:

Grab yourself a cbr600f 1995>1997 for under 2k.

Job done.

Reply to this Topic
Hondasixrr

Dec 05

Hondasixrr says:

2nd hand 600 next season

I agree with craig1000 save up another grand and buy decent low mileage secondhand 600 for next season.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

ducati

my money would be on a ducati st2.£2500 will buy a minter,superb handling,very reliable,character by the bucket full

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices