Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

There's nothing quite like having a new bike, having said that there's nothing quite luck buying a great second hand bargain. You pay your money and take your choice.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

There's nothing better........

Than owning a brand new Bike....... Until...... it gets wet, Dirty , Rusty, Scratched, dropped or covered in road salt. So owning a decent second hand Bike makes more sense in today's economic climate. However todays new bikes are tomorrows bargains and if nobody buys a new bike there will be fewer Bargains.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

wosi-trader says..

Get organised..

Decide which model you want, do lot's of research, buy just before Xmas..Pound notes, hpi check before you travel. Be first to view. Be ready to move fast when you see that bargain.  

You want as late & low miles as poss (sub-2000 a year) with a FSH, or plenty of paperwork..a couple/three of owners at most. Do a VOSA mot check online..it's free.

Write a list of questions, get A's to all the Q's, if it sounds iffy..leave it, plenty more out there, it's a buyers market.

Enjoy it. Don't be shy..try and buy the bike on the phone and get a price from the owner he will sell at..IF the bike is as described. If it has minor faults you can chip him some more. Don't be afraid to walk.

Take a mate who's mechanical if you're not..go prepared to buy. Van/trailer/ramp. Sell your ZX4 private/ebay for cash to put towards your purchase.

You will save a packet over buying from a dealer. Forget new. Buy Japanese.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

I was in the same position last year and I went for a low mileage 2002 gsxr 750 and it is brilliant. Plenty of power, handles well on the right tyres and insurance is same asa 600 but cheaper than a thou.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

for the money

If I just had £2500 to get a new bike it would be on a Busa or Blackbird...effortless power/handling and good comfort and fuel range. Yes for some insurance can be an issue but they aren't as bad as full sports bikes.

Reply to this Topic
bikerpete51

Apr 11

bikerpete51 says:

good used vs new

For £2500 you can get something decent secondhand and it's yours fully paid for. I'd go to a reputable dealer if you don't know what to look (and listen) for, do a some research first and decide what you want. You'll get a better deal privately but also there's also more chance of being ripped off. Walk away if you have any doubts. As has been said elsewhere here it's a buyers market so take your pick.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

Washing machines

From 2000 onwards bikes have developed very slowly, there are a lot of gimics that are put on bikes that have very little point and cost a fortune to replace. They're like washing machines they have a simple job to do but they make them so complex that no f#cker can fix them what was wrong with the old ones they got your clothes clean, the same could be said for motorcycles. Look at the VFR1200 vs the Blackbird the VFR is heavier slower more complex and has a very poor tank range compared, is that really development. I know if I had £2500 thats where my money would go thats £10,000 less finance than the VFR.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Reliability

I'd go for a "newer" bike but not a new bike. anything too old and you just keep chucking money at it.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

don't waste your money

New? Never again. I've had two new bikes - first gen Triumph Tiger (looked hard, frame made of stiff jelly) and a r1150gs. Lost silly money when I sold them. The most I've paid for a second hand bike is 3k. You may need to breath on/replace the suspension at the cheaper end. You might have to replace a sprocket or two. Budget of that. So either buy a bike for a bit more with a loan from the bank that needs noting doing, or buy a cheap one (lower mikes the better and take a good look at the owner - then fix the suspension. I've done this a couple of times - new rear shock, matching fork springs, perhaps an uprated cassette and you've got a bike that rides new or better and is suited to your weight and size. If you're going to do this.. look for a bike that's cheap BECAUSE the suspension is shagged (25-40k) but the owner is a bit anal about servicing it. Then get him to drop the price a few hundred quid and you've already got a new shock for free!

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

Newer bikes will always be better, just have to live within your means.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices