Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jahkeym76

Feb 12

jahkeym76 says:

i ride a 05 zx636r - great 600 (ish) bike, even thou it's cheating!

not the best looking sports bike but i have grown to love it's GP looks - had all the modern bits i wanted an all e.g, radial brakes, slipper clutch, usd forks etc...............sure you can pick one of these up for around £2500.................

i bought mine 2 yrs ago last April, had just under 6000 miles on the clock, had 3 main dealer services - I'm now on just under 24,000 miles, all servicing done at home apart from the dreaded valve adjustment which is due at 26,000 miles.

This is a big consideration for me as my Street Triple needed valve check every 12,000, newer ZX6r's at 15,000...............these expenses should be included when looking at your cost to change etc.

I am constantly looking at buying a new bike BUT it's not gonna make me any faster on the road and now that mines paid off I can't think of getting a long finance agreement ever again.

My advise, save some more pennies and pick up a Winter bargain, if you lok hard enough you'll get the bike you want in the condition you want, all the jap bikes are bullet proof!

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

For 2,500 all you'll..........

..............get is somebody else's junk.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Buy the bike YOU want, not what your mates / media / bloke down the pub says. If an MZ Trophy floats your boat, good on ya! Me, I really want an old Voskhod 175 or Jupiter 350, but then I'm a little peculiar with my tastes.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

depends

Same as cars, it's always going to be cheaper buying second hand provided the bike's been looked after. Some makes like Honda last better than others. With a bit of research and some careful selection you should be able to get a really nice bike for £2500. I had 8 years of trouble free riding with a 96 CBR600F, you can pick those bikes up for £1000. Maybe buy a bike for 2k and then you've got 500 to fix any potential problems. I also had a SP1 for 7 years and sold it for what I paid, never had any problems or expensive services. Compared to a brand new GSXR600 that I traded after 1 year and lost 2 grand on. Then again if you're planning on keeping the bike for a long time maybe buying new is worth it.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Depreciation

Buy second hand and you can avoid a large part of the heavy depreciation on new bikes.

Reply to this Topic
Ian610

Sep 12

Ian610 says:

I would like to have a brand new bike, but whenever I buy shiny new things, I like to keep them that way...easier said then done! At least with a used bike, you're slightly less anal about the cosmetic condition of the bike. Then there's the warranty conditions on brand new bikes; you'd have to take it to the dealer for servicing etc which is costly when you look at how much they charge for labor. I like to take my bike to a local mechanic who charges half the price and generally offers a better service. And obviously the depreciation that you have to take a hit on, although if you're planning to keep the bike forever, that won't matter.

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

PIROFLIP

I cannot tell you how wrong piroflip is. i bought my bike for £1900. A triumph daytona 600, it is in immaculate condition, always starts on the button and has never let me down

I would never buy a brand new bike, maybe a 2006/2007 model now but there is simply no need to go for anything newer other than to brag about how much money you have to waste (different storey if you use your bike daily). A newer bike does not make you ride fast/safer or look better. I will never spend over £5000 on a motorbike. I think it is stupid that yamaha feel they can put a £14k price tag on a new R1...... Who is going to buy that!!! (same with ducati 1199 and also bmw s1000rr!)

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Old bikes

are better in that they don't have anything funky fitted to them. No semi-active suspension , no ABs , nothing , just an engine with a few idiot lights. In a way that is better , in others , it isn't. You need to decide if you want a bike you can maintain yourself rather than having to take it to dealer to get a lightbulb changed but have the shinyness of a new bike with all the bells and whistles.

Most of the new bikes have better MPG and less emissions if you care about that , I don't , but it was a nice little bit of info since it meant I didn't need to buy as much petrol.

Buy a bike you can ride and feel that it is something you want. Don't buy a sports bike then find you actually wanted a cruiser lol

Reply to this Topic
Paxwell

Oct 12

Paxwell says:

The newer bike I buy, the more problem I have!

Reply to this Topic
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Hey mathewdaytona, I bought a 2011 s1000rr last year and sold it and bought a 2012 one this year, you know why? Because I wanted to. It don't make me ride any quicker but it's the bike I love. It's a bit like should I buy a fiesta or a Ferrari, go for the one that makes you happy

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices