Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

If you're not sure...

...whether you need to spend top dollar on the latest tackle, then you obviously don't. But if it's what you want, then why not? Besides, you'll help keep the struggling bike market buoyant, and you'll take the depreciation hit. Keep it tidy and in three years' time, someone less flaky will have a good value second-hand bike to enjoy.

Snap with matthewdaytona. I recently paid £1900 for my latest bike, an immaculate SV1000 with less than 6k on the clock, and lovely Scorpion cans that I didn;t have to fork out another £500 for. Bargain.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

dont waste money on a status-symbol

Buy what you like, not something that you think will make you appear more successful in life when you go to a bike meet. For the ultimate feeling of being a racer, you can't beat a ZX7R. It may need more maintenance and be slower than a new bike, but they make you feel like no modern bike can. I bought my zx10r because I like its looks and performance. It's 5 years old, and if I was offered a straight swap for ANY new bike, I'd keep mine because I simply don't like anything else, plus it kicks out more power and torque than new models.

Reply to this Topic
fitzy2009

Jan 11

fitzy2009 says:

New bikes

Used bikes are great if you dont have the money for a new bike. Ive got a used bike because it was the bike i wanted and they didnt sell them brand new anymore my honda sp1. I had always wanted one but at the time couldn't afford it when it was new. Remember if everyone bought used bikes and worried about depreciation and servicing costs there would be no bike industry, its not like cars where companies buy a fleet for salesmen to use. Most bikes are used as a weekend sunny day toys, not a commuting tools to get to work. My opinion is if there is a new bike that you really want and it interest free or have a great deal on them sometimes better value than a couple year old used one, then buy it. But if like me you have always fancied a certain model that may have a more nostalgia value to you buy it or test ride one because you might regret it.

Reply to this Topic
dmgaffer

Apr 11

dmgaffer says:

Why commit yourself

If like me your bike is only for a run on a nice day and not your only mode of transport, why commit yourself financially to a new bike when you can buy something outright that you will have equally as much fun with, you can still take pride in an older bike sometimes even more so if you keep it well maintained, there are some fantastic used bikes if you are patient enough to wait for the right one to come along

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

@Piglet2010, it's "no"

The (fantasy) question is "I want a 600 sportsbike, should I buy new?"

But nobody is asking that question, or at least if they are, then the answer is (statistically) always coming up no.

I'm not disagreeing that it's fun to chuck an old "Race Ready" shed round or down a track, but they're not being bought new.  MCN was just after doing an article on it, and MCIA new registrations confirm it.  Litre+ or at least 750 is the new 600.

If you're buying new, the difference in cost is a few £££ a month.  You might very well get cheaper insurance on the bigger bike, since 600s have long been Crashy McHoon's deathmobile of choice.

Stick a fork in them, they're done.

Reply to this Topic
maxiscooter

Sep 11

maxiscooter says:

It depends.....

If you're going to be commuting 50 miles (100 mile round trip) each day and you can't risk getting to work late, then a new bike will give you the peace of mind. However I'd like to echo the comments below in that a pre-registered bike on 0% or 1%-3% finance will be the best bet in terms of minimising the dreaded depreciation and monthly payments. PCPs can be good value if the APR is low (below 7%) to keep monthly payments low and if you're prepared to replace the bike every 3 years, whch you may wish to do if racking up the miles with commuting.

If your commute is short and most of the miles will be for pleasure then I'd go for a good second hand bike, ideally from a non-franchised dealer or small dealership. In my experience the bikes are priced cheaper and very often below 'book' and because you deal with the owner or guy that also is in the workshop they know what they're talking about. These treasures of the bike trade also care about their customers and will want you to return for maintenance, MOTs and accessories so they'll treat you well and won't sell you a duffer. As always buy something with service history and mileage appropriately low for the model (for example a Thundercat with 40K may have had a hard life whereas as BMW, Pan or Dullsville will be fine with those miles).

Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
DorisM88

Oct 12

DorisM88 says:

Welcome to___Seekingbikers [Please Google it]___the largest dating site for motorcycle enthusiasts. Have a try and you'll find your biker soul mate to ride and travel together. :)

Reply to this Topic
stephenm1964

Aug 12

stephenm1964 says:

Fair deal bum deal or great deal?

With buying new the best deal you can expect is a fair one because the dealers have to make money they're not charities. With private buying second hand you can expect anything from a shit deal if you don't know what to look out for up to a superb deal if you know what you're doing. 2 years ago I was the only one to bid on a 1994 Ducati 888 on ebay which had no service history for 4 years and that meant in popular myth it was about to explode in a ball of flame. When I went down with the van to do the deal I found it had an iffy sprag clutch and the usual iffy regulator - bit haggle and I was taking a £2500 bike home. Got home and found a £50 second hand sprag on ebay and a German replacement for the Japanese regulator - fitted them that weekend and did a service myself - valves etc were OK and just needed oil and filter. Now done 8000 trouble free miles in 2 years on a agreed mileage classic insurance for £160 comp and when I took it to the dealer recently for some new tyres (I get deals on tyres cos me mate works there) I was told they would give me £4000 for it if I wanted to sell - I have yet to hear a dealer offer more for a year old bike than you bought it for new. You pays yer money and takes yer choice but if you don't know what your doing you could get stung.

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

£2500

You wont get much for that. Just another heap of crap on the road. Save up at least double what you have got and then get something half decent. Even with 5 grand you wont get anything decent less than 4 years old.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

£2500 gets you a lot of bike

£2500 can get you a lot of bike, if you don't mind doing your own maintenence. But you wouldn't want to be paying dealer servicing costs if you've only got £2500 invested in a bike.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices