Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GMT43C

May 07

GMT43C says:

newer is often uglier

I think that here are a lot of bikes made now that are just so UGLY. This is of course completely subjective but, for example, my old Pegaso 650 cube was far prettier than the current offering. There is no doubt that the original Yamaha 250/350LC's were miles better looking than the YPVS that followed. It is probably an age thing but the air cooled unfaired Z650's (with the rear mudguard removed) will always look the business to me. The Bonneville of the 70's looked far better than the current offering from Triumph.

Regarding buying secondhand; I have never owned a motorcycle from new. I have just bought a slightly damaged '98 ZZR600 with low mileage and after the first 3000 miles, in 5 months, I have had no problems. I was nervous about the age but it seems unfounded. Condition is everything, especially mechanically, so take care and there are great bikes for low money.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

buy what you can afford

In the current climate of uncertanty , i would not go down the finance route.

many second hand bikes are good quality and looked after.

Make sure it has a full dealer service history, a complete mot history, finance free and has been looked after.

when having a good look round a potential purchase look in the places that collect dirt and debris, if its minging then some one has only ever cleaned the bits you can see. and couldnt be bothered to look after thier pride and joy.

make sure everything is as it should be and works .

And buy from a dealer as you can take it back if there is a problem as it will have at least a 3 month warenty.

Reply to this Topic
Englishman

Oct 11

Englishman says:

Are newer bikes better?

If you can afford it, always go for the newer bike. The manufacturers make improvements as the revisions come along, so why miss out on the lessons learned from the older generation machines? Sometimes they make a bike worse in the sense of losing its character, but generally the bike will be better and safer than the one it replaces.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

GMT43C: Yam LCs

Come on, be serious - you can't say a 250LC was better looking than the YPVS.   No way. 

Condition is everything, it's true - and while there are great bargains no doubt available, no condition is finer than when something is new.   You won't do better than getting something brand new, all other things being equal.*

Value for money,  or the wise expenditure of more limited resources is another question altogether.  You'll get much better value out of a bike a couple of years old and not ridden hard.

Personally,  I've bought a new bike just as a one-off thing and not regretted it at all.

----
*Emphasis on "all other things being equal"

Reply to this Topic
gungerdin8

Feb 11

gungerdin8 says:

zx9r

a few yrs back i brought a 2000 zx9r that had been sat for a year it needed front calliper rebuild 250 quid

new rubber 170 quid OH N GAVE IT A SERVICE

and an mot 

the bike cost me 750 to buy

i had that bike for a year rung its neck rode it on valve bounce it NEVER WENT WRONG

:ph43r: hope u find a bargain

regards gunngadin

Reply to this Topic
bobgreen

Apr 04

bobgreen says:

Not New

£2,500 will buy you a fine 2nd hand bike. Don't listen to your mates, 2nd hand bikes aren't always unreliable, shop around, make sure you get the right bike for you. Take somebody who is handy with the spanners with you when you go to look at a bike, they spot things us normal folk wont. You will get a decent bike from a dealer for £2.5k which usually come with at least at least a 6 month warranty. I know of a mint CBR600 F Sport going for £2.3k now so don't over stretch yourself if you don't need to.

Reply to this Topic
busterrabbit

Sep 12

busterrabbit says:

used every time

Let's face it dealers and MCN are full of used bikes with ridiculously low mileage, many have hardly been used at all! 

However this brings it's own problems; batteries, brake fluid, timing belts and tyres will usually need replacing on a time rather mileage basis.  Engine oil should be changed after every winter layoff anyway.  Stale fuel can leave deposits on injectors causing running problems too.

The up side is that allowing for the above easily sorted items it's unlikely anything major will give problems, perhaps the odd "lazy" brake caliper piston.

It's a buyers' market, don't get yourself in debt to buy new, use your money to actually use and enjoy your bike.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

New

If money is a issue I would think about getting a nearly new bike. You will miss the depreciation hit and have a pretty good bike to have loads of fun on. Personally I have had older bikes but my last 3 bikes have been new ones. And I absolutely love the feeling of being the first owner and the pristine condition of the bikes. I dont buy to resale and not bothered about the depreciation as I buy them to ride,clean and look at and I ride 20,000 a year. Looking forward to putting a 100,000 on my black NC700S which I traded in my CBR for. Good luck in getting a decent bike

Reply to this Topic
number75

Jul 12

number75 says:

Too much money?

Amazing that some people think all you will get for £2500 is a heap of junk. For every person that will tell you that there will one that can tell you all of the problems they have had with more expensive machines, right up to brand new. Knowledge is power and despite what many 'experts' will tell you 600s are more than a little bit fast so you should know what you're dealing with in the first place. You say you want to pay outright, you're worried about buying a nail, do your homework, decide on a bike, get a feel for likely problems, take your time choosing one, and don't spend more money than you are comfortable with. I have a 2000 r6 which I paid £1350 for spent around £300 on, I commute 40 miles a day, have toured on it, go for sunday blasts and nothing has fallen off yet!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices