Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Are newer bikes better?

"I've got £2,500 cash in the bank with which to buy myself a new (to me) bike, and I can't decide what to get. "I'm currently own a rough ZXR400 L3 – my first post-test bike – and I'm looking to get a 600cc sportsbike. "I'm really keen to make an outright cash purchase, but my mates keep telling me to use...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 October 2012 18:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Trolololo

Nobody is buying new 600 sportsbikes.  If you're going to invent fantasy questions, at least try to make them look plausible.

Reply to this Topic
iD4VE

Aug 12

iD4VE says:

Get what you can afford

Live within your means. Yeah having a spanking new bike is great but do you need one? If you have the cash available to buy a good second hand bike then do that instead of lumbering yourself with needless debt. At least that way you have more cash available each month to ride the bike.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

New Old Stock

Very good deals can be had on older but new bikes, when dealers want to clear them out of their inventory, e.g. I paid between 60% and 80% of MSRP for my last 2 bikes (Yamaha TW200 and Honda Dullsville), both a little over two years old, but with less than 1 mile on the clocks and full warranties.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Super-Sports

@ Rogerborg – Yes and no. 599cc super-sports are not the best street bikes, and all race replicas are a pain to ride around town or longer distances on rural highways, but are great fun at the track, and do not need all the electronic rider aids to keep less than expert riders from launching themselves high-side. Also much easier to get a 400 pound super-sport around a chicane at speed than a 450 pound super-bike.

Reply to this Topic
jedilumpy

Nov 11

jedilumpy says:

sport bike

I have a 2005 R6 and its been extremely reliable and looks mint easily capable in comparison to a modern motorcycle. However i think in the current climate of bikes available you should get a naked bike with a super-sports engine. Much like a street triple or honda hornet. Then you will have all the things you want from a 600cc sport bike and some practicality. I had a hornet for over a year and it was excellent. Sport bikes are all well and good but when your back and arms start to ache you kinda wish you still had the naked version. Also price wise these are available from £3K so will be in budget and are significantly cheaper on insurance than its faired CBR brother.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DASKDIM

Aug 06

DASKDIM says:

Are newer bikes better?

To make up the right decision try test rides of both newer(but 2nd hand) and brand new models of supersport motorcycles. A brand new supersport motorcycle will be a "big step foward" in terms of overall safety,riding & handling quality, technology's goodies etc etc, but in most cases it lacks the "character" and the "feeling" that the old (and much slower and more rider-participating) motorbikes have. Of course, it is always a matter of getting used to it, although i personally miss that original motorbike feeling that older motorcycle year models used to aspire to its riders.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

upgrade it

ive gotta be honest the bike you own is rare anyways regardless of condition, if the motor and frame are solid id invest in a newer style body kit from china, see ebay, and upgrade the cams and fueling, the new version will be so slow compared to your older version  so id make it more modern looking then your non smoking money on something new which you no nothing about. or an easier option get a rsv mill, 2g will get you a tidy one with bags off power and reliability. mines as fast as a 996 and most blades on the road. enjoy either way.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

just to add

any bike is as reliable as a new one if its serviced and looked after, mines a 2001 and a recent track day outting proved its no slouch and up to the modern standards. happy shopping, if you never not sure get a second opinion, but not off your money wasting friends lol.

Reply to this Topic
ScottChegg

Oct 12

ScottChegg says:

My way

When I bought my first bike in 2008, I was looking around for a 5 year old ZX636R A1P. My cousin had bought one a year early and it seemed a good learner bike for a older wiser rider. Still pretty fast but quite comfortable. They were going for about £3.5k at the time. I ended up buying a brand new ZX6R P7F for £5000 with 2.5 years interest free. Financially it was the best thing I ever did in biking as I traded it in two years later for £4500. Over that period it only cost me a set of tyres and two very cheap services. As for was it any better to ride? Probably a little bit but I'm sure I would have enjoyed those 2 years just as much on an older bike. What was nice though, was the feeling that the bike was new and spot on and I could get on with enjoying the ride without worrying over reliability or inherited set up issues etc.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

New v 2nd hand

Please define what 'better' means as it's subjective to the individual involved.

Are older bikes less reliable than newer ones? If you pay attention to what you're riding/ buying then in my experience the answer is generally no.

Are older bikes slower than newer ones. If you go on a track then maybe but if you ride primarily on the road then older bikes with stronger midranges can sometimes be quicker than newer track inspired bikes with midrange power shifted to the top end of the rev range.

Are older bikes better values than newer ones? So long as its reliable then thats an easy yes definately answer (insurance is often cheaper aswell)

Newer bikes are being released as early as possible during the development phase to recoup costs and more and more new bikes are being recalled for design/ manufacturing issues. Also you're tied in to potentially expensive service intervals with a new bike.

The upside is that you'll be on a new bike that won't have worn out bits or potentially an unknown history.

For me the cost/benefit ratio is strongly in favour of 2nd hand bikes that are a few years old (ie 3-7 years although some older bikes are increasing in value nowadays)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices