Skip to content

General Is Gap Insurance worthwhile on a used bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Is Gap Insurance worthwhile on a used bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dhuck88

Oct 12

dhuck88 says:

Is Gap Insurance worthwhile on a used bike?

Hi, just after some opinions;

Just been offered Gap Insurance with a used bike and I'm unsure whether to take it out. I bought the bike (6yrs old) outright for around £3000 from a Honda garage. I've done some reading and I won't be taking it out through the dealer due to the price but I might take it out elsewhere. It's my first 'big' bike, it's insured fully comp and I have a pretty large excess on the insurance.

What do you think? Is it worth it on a used bike of this value? Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 October 2012 13:55)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Gap insurance

I didn't realise you could get gap insurance in those circumstances.  (I understood that it usually covers the difference betweeen what you pay for a new bike and any potential payout if it is written off)  In your case and as an older bike, the difference between what you paid for it and the payout in the event of a total loss would not be as great.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

IMO

I wouldn't take it out on a second hand bike and was offered it on my new bike a few months back but declined.

The idea sounds good but the price put me off but I suppose that coud bite me up the bottom:blink:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Gap insurance

BB - How expensive was it?

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think it was

£300 but not 100% certain

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Gap insurance

Wow - way too much!

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

GAP Insurance

is just an admission by the insurance companies that they have no intention of honouring their policies if you have a loss on a new bike / car etc.... Replace like for like!

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

GAP Insurance

was designed to cover outstanding finance over and above the valuation of a bike/car at the time its written off.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Gap insurance

is intended to make up the difference between what insurers offer you and the price you paid - insurers will always offer you a stupidly low offer.

If you can evidence (with adverts etc) that your £3k bike is genuinely worth £3k, and not £2300 that is likely to be offered, it'll be cheaper than gap insurance that makes up the difference (ie, I wouldn't bother with it).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices