You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > walking a bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dtdilz

Oct 12

dtdilz says:

walking a bike

Hey guys, basicly i was walking a pitbike to my local track when got stop'd by the local nob cop (there's allways 1 lol), after a long pile of rubish and arguments i was told to walk it home, but i would like to no the exact legality on this as I have no car to run it back and forth, and i mentiond what if the back wheel bein the motorised wheel was off the ground and the cop said that this was rubish but seemed as tho he jus didn't want to no, jobsworth lol. I have had a look online and cant find a definative anser, some say back wheel off the ground, some say both and some say there must be an 8inch ground clearance. I just don't want my new toy stolen by the police so any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks guys.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 October 2012 20:12)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Walking a bike.

I think that strictly speaking even pushing a bike is counted as being in charge of it so the usual rules apply, but you'd have to be an absolute cock to object to someone doing this and behaving themselves. Harsh.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Does sound

Rather overzealous! As for the legal aspect then James is right, if you're pushing a bike along her majesties highway (this includes the footpath alongside it) then officially the bike should be road legal & the person in charge of the bike should be wearing a helmet (correctly fastened!).

Must've been having a very quiet/crap day to be enforcing that though, either that or just being a tosser!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

This

is why police get a bad reputation. He may remember the traffic law lecture he had recently but he's totally forgetting the ones he'll have had during his training - about the letter Vs the spirit of the law and community policing.

He is, and should be treated as, a warty bellend.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

illegal

Why is it the coppers fault?

The OP was using a 'motor vehicle' in a public place.

was it taxed because it would need to be?

was it insured it would also need to be?

the fact he let you push it home shows he did use discretion he could quite easily have had it impounded and reported you for any offence commited.

Why don't you call into your local police station and ask how they advise you get it from home to the track?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

okay

good that he exercised discretion, but it might have been even nicer if he explained the situation properly - folk can barely be expected to know the myriad laws they're supposed to conform to

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

agree

totaly agee BB

but maybe the 'long pile of rubbish' that the OP describes was an explanation.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices