Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP

Valentino Rossi believes World Superbikes needs a major technical revamp to use more production-based machinery in the future. But the nine-times world champion has urged Dorna, which now controls World Superbikes after the recent acquisition of Infront Motor Sports, not to dumb down the technical rules too much to take away the skill and fascination of riding in WSB. Now that Dorna...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 October 2012 17:59)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

vtwinmark

Agree with your second point.  Doohan himself commented that the 'street bikes' as he called them were getting too close the the GP bikes in '97 when the GP bikes were fire-breathing 500 two strokes. I think Corser on a Ducati lapped Donington with about a second of Doohan good enough for a top 6 finish.

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Absolutely

Except I think there wont be a "rest making up the numbers" they`ll be priced out and too far off the pace, even more so than the current fiasco. Also, with a two horse race, if one achieves domination for more than a couple of seasons, the other will question the merit of carrying on and maybe pack it up. 

Its a bad situation for the sport.
 Like you and most others on here I totally am against any restrictions on fuel, revs, ecu, tyres, engines etc, but.... we are where we are. 
Maybe the best years of racing are all way behind us, in fact alot of folk would agree with that, and maybe we have to just make the best of a bad job from now on. 
A pessimists view perhaps. But we can`t (sadly) go backwards to TZ`s and RG`s in transits!

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

I've been a fan of bike racing for many years and from my humble observations it appears that every decade or so bike racing hits a low point when it becomes boring and lost in a minefield of beaurocracy.   However the good news is that out of the ashes of the old a new direction emerges and the whole thing bounces back again.

Don't lose heart!

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

I won`t Saturn

but maybe this is the perfect storm....Worldwide recession and spiraling costs, and ever diminishing returns on MPH v £ spent.

I don`t blame the bosses for trying to do things to keep ahead of the ball.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

vtwinmark

That's right, Steve's lap times would have put him on the front row, next to Rossi. Steve Hislop R I P was a true racer and as fast as they come, greatly missed.

Reply to this Topic
vtwinmark

Aug 10

vtwinmark says:

Factories spend millions developing the 'best' machine they can build...and then spend millions adapting said machine to meet the current restrictions/rules deemed nessesary by the ruling bodies...no saving there..how much money is spent on developement to save a few litres of fuel per race? I'm all for a control ecu, but that should be it, no dumbing down on anything else. There will always be those with deep pockets, the have's and the have nots, sport is full of it. 

Superbikes have provided better racing pretty much from day 1, but still MotoGP is more popular, why? because people want to see the ultimate pinacle of the factories expertise running to the extreme of their potential...not an exercise in fuel and tyre conservation.

Reply to this Topic
ratchetman

Jun 11

ratchetman says:

SUPERBIKES

I think Rossi and a few others are missing the point. WSB is the development Platfrorm for todays current crop of modern day super bikes. Would we have bikes like the BMW 1000RR or the KAWASAKI ZX10 or YAMAHA R1 or DUCATIS PANAGALI .I dont think so some how. So DORNA dont mess up a fantastic series that still has a lot in common with modern day superbike  

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

World Superbikes was in good hands but with those clowns Dorna taking control of the class the future looks uncertain.

Reply to this Topic
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

wsb started out with bikes that were road first then modified to race, but then the factory's went the other way and think race first then road

Reply to this Topic
trailler

Jul 09

trailler says:

Sheene

That is how they develop bikes , by racing them . Racers are the  development riders.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices