Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi: World Superbikes now too close to MotoGP

Valentino Rossi believes World Superbikes needs a major technical revamp to use more production-based machinery in the future. But the nine-times world champion has urged Dorna, which now controls World Superbikes after the recent acquisition of Infront Motor Sports, not to dumb down the technical rules too much to take away the skill and fascination of riding in WSB. Now that Dorna...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 October 2012 17:59)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Cheeky...

"I haven`t heard of any championship, be it in bikes, tennis or tiddlywinks where its been suggested that a competitor must be forced to retire at a certain age. The idea is crazy."

The very sport you are talking about...

"For the Moto3 class, the maximum age is 28 years (25 years for new contracted riders participating in the Moto3 Grand Prix for the first time and for wild cards) at the 1st of January of the corresponding Championship year."

"For the Moto2 contracted riders and MotoGP class, the limit for the maximum age finishes at the end of the year in which the rider reaches the age of 50."

Crazy eh?... now you have :smile

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/2012_GP_Regulations_updated_version.pdf

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

WSBK

For a few years now; I thought perhaps superbike should be like superstock is now , and MotoGP like the old F1 bikes where they have to use a standard bikes crankcases

Reply to this Topic
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

WSBK

Not sure its as healthy as some think. Only 20 bikes on the grid for Magny Cours, no Yamaha, only 2 Suzuki, 2 Honda.

BMW, Aprillia and Ducati spending millions so that smaller teams can't compete.

Why not copy BSB, lots of bikes by differant factory's, and better racing than both WSBK & GP

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Copy BSB

I think thats what they'll do, I think they'll copy BSB, a formula which is shown to work without dubbing the bikes down excessively.

Reply to this Topic
kage

Aug 10

kage says:

'SUPERBIKES I think Rossi and a few others are missing the point. WSB is the development Platfrorm for todays current crop of modern day super bikes. Would we have bikes like the BMW 1000RR or the KAWASAKI ZX10 or YAMAHA R1 or DUCATIS PANAGALI .I dont think so some how. So DORNA dont mess up a fantastic series that still has a lot in common with modern day superbike' I agree with Rachetman's post. Wasn't the idea of bike development supposed to of filtered down from MotoGP to Supers and then into our road bikes? If the idea is we the consumer should benefit from the technical advancements, let the Superbike category continue that and make MotoGP a pure race bike series. A bigger version of Moto2, but with different engine manufactures. CRT if you like, but with a better name. It wouldn't bother me that the series could potentially be slower than Supers, the balance of equipment would mean better racing and advanced skills due to the omission of technology. You might be able to go fast and win on a Superbike, but step into 'Moto1' and you better know what you're doing! Don't numb down Supers and technically restrict GP's. Leave Supers alone and make GP's a proper racers series. I'd be happy with that scenario. Laters

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

honda

have already shown the way by announcing a road going rcv , they wont sell many given the price tag and have stated its not to replace the blade!!!!, the gp changes via controlled ecu wont happen now because wsbk will take that fall 1st pushing factorys to join the gp grid to keep their own electronics they have spent millions developing and keeping their machines and the racing at top level, my prediction is well what has already been said about bsd copying, controlled rev limits and no factory efforts allowed in wsbk which will make even closer racing,pushing aprilia and bmw and into moto 1 with their best prototype and engine and electronics package on the grid to fight with honda/ducati/suzuki maybe by then???any takers on dorna not having an issues with real race reps on the roads making more money and ads for the series??i think its already in place personally which explains why a big gun like rossi can say this knowing what the future is for him and racing. it will save moto gp and still give wsbk it grid numbers, and bump up the moto 1 grid, to us fans in the longrun it wont make any difference as we will still watch it all the same. just a damn shame casey is retiring but these rule changes and other things have made him decide, wsbk will still always be the best series imo.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Tires Trimby Tires

SBK get close on vastly softer carcass Pirelli's. Give Melandri or whomever a sidewall stiffy like Bridgestone have to provide for angry GP horsepower/mechanical grip etc and the gap between prototype and SBK will dissapate within the first 3 corners of any race track,let alone last the distance.

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Unclear that last comment

SBK bike on current Bridgestone GP rubber will see the prototypes dump the SBK bikes by 2 seconds per lap at least.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Does this also mean we will also see a change of tyre manufacturer with Pirelli's coming into MotoGP ?

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Thanks

Hedgy I stand corrected. 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle